Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Confederate Flag?

Do you consider flying the Confederate flag racist? I think it is just southern ride.

Southern Pride, i regret that spelling error.

Favorite Answer

its never racist, im a northerner and i dont consider it to be and never will, the x on it represents St. Andrews Cross because thats how he was crucified, and the stars were the states, the flag itself is a symbol of a few trying to overcome the many in a struggle that wasn't supposed to be long, they should be proud of their generals and their men, exactly why we ordered our troops to salute the confederate soldiers at Lee's surrender at Appomatox court.

• Ann

I am a Northerner. The confederate flag is part of the history of the South. And I agree with them, that if you don't like it, get out. It has been turned into a symbol of racism by those who do not like it. If you do not like it, then have Congress pass a law, like Germany did after WWII, that bans the display of the flag (in Germany's case, the Nazi flag) If you believe it should be banned, I will not stop you. That is your right as an American Citizen.

I consider the confederate flag as part of southern heritage and history.This flag in known as old Dixie, or Glory, and is not racist. If you say South or Dixie or confederate the first thing a black person thinks of is slavery, and that's their right.

Personally, I don't think it has any meaning any more. It's funny how they rag on the southern cross when the first confederate flag was white with a Fleur DE Lise on it in red. Most don't even know that one nor do they care but it was the original racist flag.

• Rick N

Anyone who is offended by the use of the Confederate battle Flag is one of those people who is offended about everything. The Civil War was only partially about slavery in the first place. The true reason behind the War was States Rights.

The flag I find truly offensive is the Black Seperatist flag one sees routinely in predominantly black areas. It is a red, black, and green tricolor, and symbolizes Black nationalism and supremacy. I can't speak of many other cities, but they're everywhere in Detroit.

I think the war ended over a hundred years ago and anyone who is still insulted by a symbol of one side of that conflict really needs to get a life. The decision as to whether it is intended as an insult is really up to the user,different people fly it for different reasons,that's how we use symbols. And if someone uses it to insinuate a racist attitude who really cares,it may come as a shock to some but this is still America and people in fact have a right to be racists if they want,as long as they aren't commiting violence it's just too bad whether someone else likes their attitude or not. It may be ignorant but it's their right to be ignorant too.

AD

No not for a minute,we have the same problem here in the U.K. with the union jack, left wing liberals are forever telling people not to fly it and the england flag in case it upsets immigrants,problem for them is the more you tell peope not to do something the more they do it.

You are suppose to fly it with the American flag otherwise you are making a statement. I think the South has never gotten over the fact they lost in the Civil War.

Actually, I doubt most people know what the that flag was used for in the days of the civil war.

I don't consider it racist. What I consider racist is flying the NATO flag, for example.