Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Has anyone written a modern times bible?

For example, the Left Behind series and its offspring are using biblical stories in a modern day setting. Has anyone tried writing other biblical stories from this modern perspective? If so who?

I'm trying to connect to some of my friends, but they think it is a boring subject of discussion. The Left Behind books seemed very effective in making this connection and I didn't know of anyone else writing other biblical stories in such a fashion.

Favorite Answer

There is one new translation that refers to Peter as "Rocky" and really goes out on a limb to try to appeal to the "in crowd." (Jesus called Peter "the Rock" in the original King James Version.) I think this new version is called The New Language Bible but I'm not sure. It really is a hoot to read. (I read it at Barnes & Noble one day.)

But a very good version to read is by JB Phillips called The New Testament In Modern English. It's kind of hard to find...had to order mine online.

You should go to your local Christian Bookstore and ask them to show you the many different versions. Then you can read and compare for yourself in order to select the one that best speaks to you. I would recommend the John MacArthur Study Bible which is The New King James Version. This version illiminates all the outdated Shakespear-style wording and is much easier to read than the 1611 KJV. The John MacArthur notes in it are excellent for Bible study. (John MacArthur is the pastor of Grace Community Church and is the Dean of The Master's Bible College in California. He came here to Lynchburg, Va. and I had the privilege of meeting this devoted man of God. He handles the Word of God with great care and is a superb verse-by-verse expositor of the Bible. I also recommend his excellent commentaries on the New testament.)

Good luck with your search, I hope this was somewhat helpful.

There are many stories out there that resemble biblical stories, and to set the record straight, Mormons have NOT written a "modern-day bible." It was translated in the early 1800's by a young man named Joseph Smith, but he did not write it. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble on this. Your best bet is to nail down a particular story that you like and then do a google or yahoo search on the story itself. Hope this helps. If you want to read this "Mormon bible" it's called The Book of Mormon and ANYONE can get a free copy on http://www.mormon.org/freeoffers/1,17785,2071-1-1,...

God's word never Changes stick to the Old King James Version and stop relying on modern times stuff. The Modern things are getting geared up with the second coming of the Lord and it's not acceptable for a child of God or a Christian to follow. Stick to the King James Bible.

It would be very dangerous to re-write the Bible. I say this because the truth inherent in God's word would be adjusted, twisted, or completely ignored for the sake of making it 'relevant' to society. Truth is not relative.

In response to Gastounet:

You are correct, the Old Testament Law was a harsh system to live under. However, it is important to understand that it was man who sinned against God. The wages for any and all sin is death.

God is perfectly just, and He cannot remain fair and just if sin is not punished for. Therefore, a sacrifice had to be made. Usually, this was in the form of a lamb.

That is where the life-giving message of the Gospel comes in!

Jesus Christ, the Son of the Living God, came to earth as a man. (1) He was without sin, a lamb without blemish, and his sacrifice on the Cross was the ultimate sacrifice that covers any and all sins of the entire world! (2) Now, we do not live under the law, instead we live under grace. (3)

All we have to do to escape God's judgment is to accept Jesus' gift of grace to us and love Him with all of our heart, because he loved us first. (4)

Source(s): (1) - "He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth" - 1 Peter 2:22 (NIV) (2) - "He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world." - I John 2:2 (NIV) (3) - "For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace." - Romans 6:14 (NIV) (4) - "We love because he first loved us." - 1 John 4:19 (NIV)

Hank Hannegraff is writing as series of books called, "The Last Disciple". However, it cannot be termed a "modern day Bible" because although it uses real historical names and circumstances it is a work of pure fiction.

Godspell is a modern day version of the gospel according to St. Matthew.

• rezany

lol, this is kinda crazy but I have rewritten much of the bible in the course of my studies. I had to write it the way I felt it inside me. It's not really worth sharing with anyone, it just helped me too understand and find my way.

The Mormon bible is comparatively recent. You could also call L Ron Hubbard's Dianetics a bible of sorts.

Conversations with God by Neal Donald Walsch ~

Or a Course in Miracles

I have a philosophy conceived in 1967 and written in 1983 as a project that is interesting. If you're interested, e-mail ssaltyddog@yahoo.com and I'll send you a copy. It's too long to attach here.