Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 decade ago

What sort of houseplant is safe for my cat?

I'm looking for a houseplant that can withstand a good chewing from my cat while simultaneously not harming her. I put them out of her reach, but she climbs and jumps to get at them. Any suggestions on something that is non-toxic and safe for her?

Favorite Answer

Jade plants are an easy, non toxic house plant that is visually appealing. Jades are a good plant for a beginner indoor gardener as well... and cats generally leave them alone save the occasional dig in the dirt.

Think about how new parents baby proof their home when they have a child. Now apply this to your cat. A website dedicated to cat-proofing your home states "Chewing houseplants...can cause toxic reactions" to your cat and to "choose nontoxic plants like the jade plant".

You can read more about cat proofing your home here:

http://maxshouse.com/cat_proofing_your_home.htm

An earlier posting stated aloe vera was okay for cats... this is not correct! It is heavily documented in almost all cat publications that aloe vera is poisonous to cats.

My cats used to "nibble" on my aloe vera plant and it would make them vomit heavily (sorry for the mental picture). Now I keep it in my "cat proofed" room. So if you choose aloe, my suggestion is to keep it out of reach.

try

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

It starts with the list of toxics, but you can click on the list of non-toxics in the column to the left. It's quite long really.

Some they list as toxic I think are a little over the top. Mine have never bothered my aloe, and if they did, I wouldn't worry over much. They have always been around geraniums too. Still, best to stick to the safe list. If you have a pan of cat grass (usually organic wheat or oat) they are less likely to bother other things, as they won't be desparate for greens.

• Donna

Try a spider plant. They grow very well in reduced light and will appreciate the humidity of the bathroom. They are also not poisonous to cats. You wouldn't have wanted a fern, anyway. when they shed those little leaflets, they can be a big mess.

• Rayne

Aloe Vera. I had a cat once that ate the whole thing! Roots and all! At least she was healthy.

Ficus and Pothos.

Source(s): Plant owner