my temperature gage on my car keeps going up and down.. does that mean it needs antifreeze-coolant?

or something else is wrong?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • logan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It could be a variety of things. For starters check the coolant overflow and see if it is full. If the car is cold it should be right on the line where it says cold. Same if it is hot it should be on the line for hot.

It could also be a bad sensor not reading correctly.

It could also be that the thermostat is geting stuck.

It could also be improper coolant mixture.

It could also be that the coolant is not flowing properly. It may need to be flushed out.

Lastly it could be water pump or cooling fan is not working correctly.

I would take it to a good mechanic and let them check it out. Don't take it to one of those chain stores. Take it to a reputable shop and let them see whats up.

I have no clue what type of vehicle you have or how new it is. But with some newer vehicles you do need to be cautious on the type of coolant used as it can do more harm then good.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Perhaps you do need anti-freeze ( or coolant, they are the same thing.) If you are running low on coolant, the hot coolant level in the engine might be just high enough to hit the temperature sensor once in a while and cause the temperature gauge to go up. Then when the coolant can't reach the sensor, the gauge reads cooler, even though the coolant temperature may be dangerously hot. It's just not touching the sensor. Check your coolant level in the reservoir . DO NOT OPEN A WARM RADIATOR CAP. HOT ANTIFREEZE WILL SPRAY ALL OVER YOU AND YOU WILL BE SERIOUSLY BURNED. Add coolant to the reservoir only. If your coolant level is low, you might not be getting much heat from the heater either. The heat comes from hot coolant. If there is not enough to circulate through your heater core, you won't get much heat no matter how hot the engine is.

• 1 decade ago

Maybe a bad electrical connection. Maybe air in the cooling system. If it changes alot really fast, probably a wire. If it creeps up, then falls quickly, Maybe a stuck thermostat. Just make sure you have plenty of coolant in at all times, and you should get it fixed quickly. Nothing is worse on a motor than overheating..

Good luck.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Does it heat up while stopped in traffic or parked?? If so your electric fan motor may have gone out on you ...let it warm up open the hood and see if it comes on...next quess would be coolant level or thermastat

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

probably not if you were low on coolant the temp would go up

mabey just a faulty sensor.if you also do not have heat check t/stat

• 1 decade ago

I would guess you have a bad gauge. Is it going up and down quickly, or slowly? If it is slow, check coolant first.

• 1 decade ago

It either means that, or it may need a new thermostat. Get it checked out at autozone or advanced auto or something if you don't have someone there to help.

• kdog
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Depends on how much it fluctuates. It will move slightly as the thermostat opens and closes.

• 1 decade ago

could mean you are low on coolant, but it sounds more like a sticky or faulty thermostat.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

as long as its not overheating it means the thermostat is opening and closing..check fluid anyway.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.