Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

if you made 40k in the stock market last year would you be happy?

all of the investments were stocks and mutual funds but all were long term wish it was like this evrey year,

any one have some good solid blue chip companies that are good safe bets for 10 percent a year earnings

Favorite Answer

My vote for safe bet blue chip -- Proctor & Gamble PG. Income growth expected to be in 13% to 15% range. Good enough business to have been able to raise its dividend each year for the past 50 consecutive years.

It would be OK, however, I'd lose a lot if I cashed out due to capital gains tax. The money one makes in the stock market can be real cash-out money, or what Ioosely term "intangible", because its money on paper, and is not cashed out. There are no safe bets on the stock market as far as I am concerned. Prospectuses are outdated by the time of publication. One must watch market trends and invest hoping the trend continues to follow. If you want a safe bet, I'd say go conservative - i.e. Coca Cola or Mc Donald's, because they are a constant staple in the American diet. However, you might not make as much as if you took a risk on a different company. Good rule of thumb is that you should never invest more than you can afford to lose, because if you do, you better be prepared to lose it.

Penny stocks are loosely categorized companies with share prices of below $5 and with market caps of under $200 million. They are sometimes referred to as "the slot machines of the equity market" because of the money involved. There may be a good place for penny stocks in the portfolio of an experienced, advanced investor, however, if you follow this guide you will learn the most efficient strategies https://tr.im/fb19f

All those issues are not unavoidably the keys to happiness so i'd be depressing in that difficulty! because it stands i'm a make certain, some grand in debt and do not make everywhere close to 40k yet am nonetheless satisfied.

Earnings for you (return) or earnings growth by company? If return for you none exist with such silly restrictions. "good solid blue chip cos" "good safe bets" don't make 10% a yr regularly & have not for a long time. Invest - don't dream. Plenty of options - use them. Not a bank acct - thank god.

Source(s): degree in finance + 27 yrs investing

That's a silly question.

If I a $billion invested, I would not be happy.

If I have $200,000 invested, yes I would be very happy.

PS I did make more that $40,000 on the stock market last year, and I was happy with it.

I think for me, it would matter what the return on investment is. If the percentage is high, then I'm happier. E.g

If I invested $39,500 and only made $40K, then, I would not be happy. I'd have to review my strategies and take more investment courses.

Yes, I would if I made that in a year from working.

If the stock is well diversified, then yes. Otherwise no as it still risky.

It all depends on how much the IRS receives for taxes.