Peace asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

In cooking, can u use molasses instead of dark brown sugar?

I found a recipe for caramel frosting which requires the sugar to be melted in butter....I'm out of the sugar, so could I use molasses instead?

Thanks.

Favorite Answer

yes you can, but remember that molasses is made form dark brown sugar and the concentrations are not the same. spoon for spoon, molasses might be a bit stronger and therefore need to be measured differently.

you can research this on some site like foodnetwork.com

If the recipe is like the one I'm referring to I would not. My recipe calls for melting 1 stick of butter in 2 cups of brown sugar. Once this comes to a boil, add 1/4 cup of milk, boil again for 15 seconds, turn off and add 1 tsp of vanilla.

If you use molasses, I think the boiling point will be different and it will burn easily. Good luck.

You can but I would back off on the amount because the molasses is way more intense than the darkest of brown sugars...its a by-product of the sugar refining process after all.