Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Confusing puppy names.?

A while ago we contacted a greyhound breeder and reserved a greyhound, when we did so we decided on the name Lyndsey, and she is to be delivered to us on wednsday.

The problem comes in when my sister got an 8 week old Coton puppy on sunday and named it Lilly. It is not too late to change Lilly's name but my sister is EXTREMELY resistant to changing it. However the breeder has been calling Lyndsey, Lyndsey for quite some time now, around 4 weeks.

Will these 2 names be too confusing?

Will Lilly (Lill-ee come when I call Lyndsey (Linz-ee)?

I really hope not.

Favorite Answer

This should not be a problem. Do the dogs live in the same house? Generally a dog doesnt know its name as much as it knows your voice saying something you have said a lot of times before.

I have a dog named Harley that I call Lee-Lee a lot of the time, and I have a dog named Lily. They can differentiate between the two names without any problems. I would think that they are fine, especially since the greyhound has been being called her name for the last 4 weeks.

This sounds like it might be a bit too confusing for the dogs. Unless you're extremely clear in your pronunciation between the two of them, you probably will have the situation that the wrong dog will come when you call the other one.

I might suggest changing one of the dog's names, unless you really want to have a go at keeping the similar names. If you do change the dog's name, check out the website in my source list for a variety of names. I'm sure you'll find one that'll suit your dog.

No. The dogs will know the difference. They will probably both respond when you call one of them anyway because when you call one the other will come to see what is going on out of pack instinct. Especially if there is food, or petting involved. Beside my German Shep and my Dutch Shep are named "Storm" & "Stryder" and they know the differences in their names. Lindsey and Lilly aren't that close to the same anyway.

Source(s): Police k9 handler and trainer of 12yrs

I have a dog named Chu (choo) Cha and a cat named Cheech and when I call one or the other they both come. Recently I aquired a pup that we named Little Guy, and now they all come when I call for him. So, it doesn't matter really, because when you call, they will both want to see why. And if you pet one, the other one will want to be petted also.

Bella means "beautiful" doesn't it? I don't think it's too "girlie," just complimentary. I think Dakota makes a better boy's name. Bella is shorter, too.

I hope not. If you say their names in a clear voice

• you should be fine. My two dogs are mousse and mugsey and they can tell the difference. enjoy your greyhound ours was a delight.

i feel like it will.some dogs are like that.maybe you should change the name while you can.but if u really like the name,u should probably give 1 of them a nickname.i hope i helped.!good luck!

i don't think so i got a lexi and dixie and they each know their names,