I'm looking for the ultimate tool for digging up bulbous weeds like wild garlic and taproot weeds.?

I'm looking for the ultimate tool for digging up bulbous weeds like wild garlic and taproot weeds. So far the asparagus knife (shaped like a straightened snake tounge attached to a handle) seems to work the best but this is very time consuming and requires a "pry angle" that requires space I do not always have.

A wide angle drill bit was once suggested as it is what is used to plant the bulbs. Any creative thoughts would be appreciated.

1 Answer

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

of course, the best thing to do is to pull the weeds before they get to that size. But you probably know, since you are thinking of weeds and it is only February. ha ha, if you are in the Southern Hemisphere, then it might be good to get an earlier start next year :-)

Drill bits come in circular shapes too; like an O. The O can be several inches in diameter and it is hollow; it looks like a cylindar.

and the weed twister is a good idea. And it comes in different sizes in case you have really long taproots to deal with. perhaps you could even attach one to a drill ...

http://www.weedtwister.com/

and some plants, not all, can be killed by severing or injuring (stabbing) the root corm, storage rhizome (tuber), or taproot. To sever a taproot, place a flat-nosed spade, pruning saw, or knife at the base of the plant and push it as far below ground as possible. To prevent re-sprouting, the taproot should be severed below the caudex or root crown (where the stem becomes the root).

The stabbing technique has been used to control baby’s breath (Gypsophila paniculata) in

Michigan (J. McGowan-Stinski, pers. comm.). The stabbing of root corms has also been

an effective control technique for large (two yr old) plants of burdock (Arctium lappa)

and wild parsnip (Pastinaca sativa) in Illinois and Wyoming (W. Kleiman, pers. comm.).

The Garden Web is a good place to talk about plant things and lots of topics:

http://www.gardenweb.com/

and here are a few basic pointers about weeds.

It is very good when we can pull those weeds before they set seed so next year we will have less weeds and the next year even less. Thick compost helps a bit even though weed seeds under the compost can continue to germinate and sprout for a few years. When you have thick compost, then future seeds that are deposited actually germinate on top of the compost and their taproots are very easy to remove because most of the root is anchored in your fluffy compost.

When you pull weeds, then do not put seeded weeds in your compost pile or leave them in the garden. Also remember that seeds can ripen on a weed or plant even after it is removed from the dirt.

have a happy Carnival this Tuesday. Since it is a very old gardening holiday I like it very much.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.