How do they remove surgical staples?

Following routine surgery to remove my Gall bladder, I'm left with 11 lovely staples in 4 seperate locations on my body. Now i've read that it's really painful to remove them and was wondering how they actually do it, and seeing as i'm a prize wuss hopefully find a way to minimise the pain!!!

Favorite Answer

It is actually very simple -- there is a staple remover! It's different than the staple remover for your desk, but similar in the concept. The surgical staple remover bends the staples and removes them from the skin. It is not painful -- it just feels a little weird and might smart a little if it gets stuck. Obviously, do what your doctor says, but I am a surgeon and like to make sure to remove staples no more than a week from surgery. Otherwise, the scarring can make the staples a little more difficult to remove!

• ALM

i've removed staples several times from animals. They use a device like mentioned previously. The animals don't seem to care, so i don't think it's painful.

i had surgery 18 months ago, and had 22 staples.

they use a small pair of ,what look like nail cutters, to grab the middle of the staple and as they squeeze the nail cutter like plyers, it makes the ends that are in your skin, lift out of the scar. when out the shape of them look like the number 3.

its completely pain free. and all the scars fade in time.so no worries, you will be fine trust me.