How long does it take for the touch screen of the DS to lose sensitivity, and how can I avoid this?

I've noticed it in the store models, and I'm concerned about mine.

Favorite Answer

I'm sure the ds sensitivity will last for at least a few years. My neighbors have had a ds for about 2 years and they are still working great. At stores though, little kids who dont know better pound and scratch all over the screen causing it to become damaged, also those ds's are being used every day for many hours i'm sure. Probably more than the average user. That's why they are probably wearing out. Kids pounding and they are being used 24/7. I'm sure you wont have anything to worry about. Plus i'm sure by the time your ds screen wears out nintendo will have made a newer portable gaming system you will want to buy. Good luck and good bye!

Be a lot gentler with your DS then the kids who are messing around in the store are, that's for sure! It's not a big problem with your average DS, but store models are constantly pounded on with a little too much vigor and are rarely cleaned; some of that sensitivity loss is due to a build up of dirt, too much enthusiasm, and sometimes, they just don't change their screen protectors as much.

As far as I know, DS aren't losing sensitivity already - probably in a couple of years we'll hear more complaints. If you want to save your screen for the anticipated future, I'd reccommend buying screen protectors and changing them semi-regularly.

The DS touch screen will lose its sensitivity when you press on it hard. If you avoid pressing on it hard it will last longer.