Dislocated Knee?

Yesterday I was at work on a ladder. I went to step down onto the ground when a buckle on my right pant leg got caught on the ladder. I stepped down with my left leg and since my right leg was caught my knee popped out (dislocated). When the buckle tore and I put my leg on the ground my knee popped back in. I am positive my knee cap popped out because it was in a position where it should not have been... and it hurt like hell! I was wondering if this would be classified as a dislocation of the knee? And also, more importantly, what should I do now to help it heal? It is still quite sore and is causing me to limp. Should I work it out as much as possible? or Stay keep off of it? Go to the doctor? I would really appreciate some good, well informed answers. Thanks.

Best Answer

Yes, you momentarily dislocated your patella (kneecap), but since it spontaneously went back into position (without your assistance) it is called a "subluxation" instead of a "dislocation." You have stretched/torn the tissues that help hold your kneecap in place, so you will have a tendency to sublux again in the future. For now, you need to worry about reducing the swelling and maintaining full knee motion. I would elevate your leg and wrap a cold pack around your knee, holding it in place with a compression bandage wrap for 20-30 minutes of every hour. Do not use any hot as it will increase swelling and inflammation (at least not for the first 72 hours). While sitting, bend and straighten your knee fully to make sure you maintain your full motion. You will need to start doing easy exercises to start activating the muscle on the front of your thigh (quadriceps), as this muscle will give your kneecap stability in the future. You can start doing this now by gently tightening this muscle with your legs straight while sitting or lying down. Have your doctor send you to a Physical Therapist, and they can walk you through a program to get you back to where you were. Try to avoid pain for now.

I would suggest you wrap it with an Ace bandage. Stay off it as much as possible. Keep it elevated. Alternate hot and cold packs (no more than 20 minutes at a time) for swelling and pain and see your Dr. Cold is for swelling. Heat is for pain. Good Luck

Source(s): experience with dislocated knee

You go to the doctor, and after he/she looks at it will tell you whether to "work it out", or "stay off it". The best doctor/practitioner cannot give you advice without at least seeing it. He/she will want to feel it move also. Until you can get to see a doctor stay off it. Staying off it WILL NOT make it worse. "Working it out" could cause more damage.

First....Did you fill out an accident report with your employer?

If not........do ASAP...as the company will pay for medical.

Support, with ace bandage. (comfortably tight)

You have no imminent threat at this moment....unless you decide to "play tough". Take it easy, for now.

Do see an orthopaedic......years later, you may develop arthritis in the joint.

This injury needs rest, then exercise.

This doctor will guide you in the proper exercise to make this area stronger.

Do wear proper shoes w/support.

I don't know what to classify it as, but you should try to heat the sore area each night with say a heating pad or you could try some icy hot. You could wait on the doctor and see if it gets better in short time. I'd say give it a week and if it's no better go see a doctor.

Go to the doctor. But before you go (since it's a Sunday, I don't think there's a way to go today), wrap it in an Ace bandage and put ice on it every other hour for 15 minutes.... a heating pad does the same thing as the ice.

That happened to me once when I tripped over an open file cabinet drawer.

Very painful for about 3 weeks - then it subsided.

I kept it wrapped tightly with an Ace bandage. That seemed to help.

• a buckle on a leg of your pants? you mean that thing on carpenter pants to hold your hammer?

put it on ice obviously. then call a doctor, not me

how long ago did this happen?

You go to the doctor, and after he/she looks at it will tell you whether to "work it out", or "stay off it". The best doctor/practitioner cannot give you advice without at least seeing it. He/she will want to feel it move also. Until you can get to see a doctor stay off it. Staying off it WILL NOT make it worse. "Working it out" could cause more damage. examine.

• iroc

subluxation of the knee cap

Source(s): life