Dan asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Does smoking cigarettes prevent lung cancer?

I heard that smoking prevents you from getting lung cancer and extends your lifespan. Is this true?

I was being sarcastic. God, have you people ever heard of sarcasm?

I just wanted to see how people on here would react to this question and you all reacted as I predicted.

Best Answer

It is the opposite, and you know it. However, even though your questions sounds stupid on the face of it, if heart disease from smoking killed you before you got lung cancer then I suppose in some warped way it did prevent lung cancer.

You must be kidding. Smoking is the very worst thing you can do and is one of the biggest reasons for lung cancer as well as other cancers. This is the biggest like I have ever heard. Whoever made this statement needs to wake up.

I doubt it. I can assure you my aunt smoked more than to packs and she didn't get lung cancer. But stop the smoking before it becomes a habit because when it does you do run the risk of lung cancer.

• Max

Smoking cigarettes could certainly prevent a person from getting lung cancer-by causing the person to die of a heart attack.

Quit Smoking Cigarette With QuitSmokingMagic - http://Go.QuitSmokingMagics.com

You have been duped.

Smoking can and does cause lung cancer, and also expiates asthma and other lung conditions. And it most certainly does not extend your lifespan, if any thing it can shorten ones life span considerably.

No. But there is research which suggests that smoking can decrease the amount of radiation (from nuclear fallout) that is absorbed in your lungs. But that isn't a great reason to start smoking!

Our grandparents may have smoked all their lives and lived into their ninties. WE DON'T THAT LUXARY. Our environment i.e the air we breath is so toxic with heavy metals and pollutants, what hope do our lumgs have if we smoke as well. Lung cancer here we come. cheers

even non-smokers get lung cancer so? you want to smoke? we will find out may be twenty years later.

no its not true my uncle died 2 months ago from smoking cigs. and he had lung cancer