knee injuries?

My sister was diagnosed with a cyst on her knee cap. The Doctor has given her anti-inflamatory to try to get rid of it. If that dosen't work, she's looking at a cortazone injection. I have never heard of someone having a cyst on the knee. Any feedback? Her sysmtons are swelling, pain and much discomfort....

• Dan
    Favorite Answer

Cysts are probably more common than you think. Most of the time they are left alone unless they cause some sort of dysfunction such as pain, restricted range of motion, etc. Sometimes surgery is performed to remove the cyst but sometimes they return so that is usually left as a last option. She needs to make sure she tries to avoid activities that seem to irritate her symptoms at least in the short term. It is unusual that she was prescribed anti-inflammatories as a cyst is a closed sac with a membrane that is not necessarily caused by inflammation but the doc may be using the medicine just to see if it helps relieve some of her symptoms or if she is having problems elsewhere. If it contains a lot of fluid needle aspiration (drawing the fluid out with a needle) may be used. Best of luck to your sister.

Source(s): I am a PT (Physical Therapist).

Can happen at most of the joints is what I hear. I had one on my wrist.