What are some common Chevy Cavalier problems?

My girl friend and I are looking at a cavalier it's either a 1997 or a 1999. And the price seems too good to be true but the guy said that it was his ex wifes car and just wants to get rid of it. i was just wondering if there are any common problems with cavaliers.

Favorite Answer

They get stolen.

2001 Chevy Cavalier Problems

2002 Chevy Cavalier Problems

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): common chevy cavalier problems: https://shortly.im/ryemt

Head gaskets.

Water pumps going. (all 3 cars)

Fouled plug wires. (2/3 cars)

Washer tank leak. (1/3)

Coolant leak. (not mine but I have heard)

Fuel pump leak. (not mine_

Alternators. (3 times, one car..4 years)

Manual transmissions (not mine, but I did replace a clutch)

My last Cav burnt a valve at 138000km ($3000 to fix).

It also smoked 3 CAT's in the time I had it, all covered under warranty and left them scratching their heads every time...

I hear they spin bearings alot between 180000-220000km...

Good to know since I sold mine lonnnng before that.

If you can find a rare reliable one, the damn thing will last you forever... but the other 4,890,051 on the assembly line are tired and will die with no warning and a massive punch to your wallet.

By the way... this thing (if a 97) is 11 years old.. (assuming sold in 96 and on the road since then..) You're looking at nothing but repairs.....

Source(s): I owned 3.. 1989, 2000, 2001.... 1989 was far the best, 2000 was in the shop once a week, 2001 failed me for the last time and I got rid of it... and the worst part? It was nothing I did!!!!!

I had a chevy and the Starter went out. As well as the gasket, ac belt and who knows what else before I finally got rid of it. check in car facts to see if it's been in any accidents. If it has, I would stay away, no matter how cheap you're getting it for.

I have know and know people who got and are getting good use from cavaliers. At around 100,000 you may need a starter or alternator, but other than that they go and go. Keep the oil changed and you can get 200,000 easily.

Consumer Reports shows problems with the cooling, electrical, brakes,integrity, and the hardware

If the car has been maintained up to this point, there shouldn't be any problem. Ask to see the service records.and have a Car Max report done.

Source(s): Consumer Reports 2004 Buying Guide

Ugh. Head gasket problems.

Chevy is built better IMO than Ford. My 1988 K1500 is still running strong.

They don't really have any inherit problems, but they do get stolen a lot cause they are easy to tilt

Source(s): ,,!,,
  • Aimee

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axJqM

I figure oil might be leaking onto your exhaust manifold, and its not a Honda which would be just getting broke in, but for $1400 you might drive out the difference in what you would have paid for the Honda.