Has Lou Dobbs apologized yet for smearing Nancy Pelosi with lies about an airplane?
While reporting White House press secretary Tony Snow's defense of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's (D-CA) need for access to a plane that can fly nonstop to her district, numerous media outlets -- including CBS, CNN, National Public Radio (NPR), Fox News, and The New York Times -- failed to note that Snow's defense came the same day the Republican National Committee (RNC) issued a press release attacking Pelosi. As Media Matters for America has noted, the Bush administration has a pattern of purporting to take the high road during controversies while allowing surrogates to smear the opposition.
On February 8, Snow called the Republican-led controversy a "silly story" that has "been unfair to the Speaker." Almost simultaneously, as Media Matters noted, the RNC issued a press release attacking Pelosi.
On February 8, Snow called the Republican-led controversy a "silly story" that has "been unfair to the Speaker." Almost simultaneously, as Media Matters noted, the RNC issued a press release attacking Pelosi. Under the banner "Pelosi Power Trip," the press release accused " 'Non-Stop' Nancy" of "want[ing] [a] non-stop military aircraft for herself, staff, family, and other members in California Delegation"; of requesting a plane that "includes [a] private bed, entertainment center, and costs $22,000 per hour to operate"; and of "go[ing] beyond what prior Speakers requested." The RNC is chaired by Sen. Mel Martinez (R-FL), who was reportedly recruited by Bush to fill the position.
1) The Speaker of the House is REQUIRED BY LAW to fly in a military plane, thanks to a law PASSED BY THE GOP after 9/11/01.
2) Dennis Hastert took advantage of this law from it's inception until he was ousted by the voters. The media has not investigated if he used the plane for political purposes, or only for official business.
3) Nancy Pelosi did NOT request the plane. The sargeant-of-arms requested a plane that could fly non-stop and the PENTAGON offered the plane.
4) Nancy Pelosi offered to fly commercial, as she has done for many years.
5) Nancy Pelosi is SECOND IN LINE to the PRESIDENCY, after the VP, the Dick Cheney.