Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

laptop cuts off automatically after a certain amount of time, how do i keep it on?

how do i make my laptop computer stay on, and not cut off automatically.

it is a gateway laptop with wireless interent.

thankyou so much.

(the reason why i need this, is because i use aol instant messenger, and when i like putting up away messages so people can leave me messages while im gone. then my computer shuts off, and signs me off.)

thankyou sarah.

it worked.

=D

• Sarah
    Best Answer

left click on your desktop and go to your screen saver options and there should be a selection for POWER and then make sure everything is checked for never turn off, never standby, etc

Go into the Windows Control Panel, and click on Power Options. You can set the amount of time the computer runs on battery power before going into standby or sleep mode. If you select the option not to shut down, the computer will run until the battery is discharged. On my laptop computer, that is about four and a half hours, so I have the option selected to go into standby mode after four hours, so it does not run until the battery is completely dead.

My Computer

Control Panel

Power Options

Turn off or change the time for the power saver and all the others to an increased amount of time that if comfortable for you.

If this still fails to work and you system still reboots or shuts off you may have to look past your system settings into a possible over heating problem.

Hope That Helps!

Go to Start - Control Panel - Power Options - Change thesettings as follows;

Turn Off Monitor - "Never"

Turn Off Hard Disks = "Never"

System standby = "Never"

System hibernates = "Never"

Caution: This will reduce the life of your battery and your monitor.

Control Panel - Power Options - set the amount of time you want it to wait until it shuts off

• ?

that's incredibly helpful to envision to be sure if the computing device followers are turning on too previous due. it could additionally be via lots of classes bombarding the proccessor, inflicting it to warmth up whether you're doing no longer something. attempt removing some classes that run at startup. go away something that has to do with center components of domicile windows checked or you would be able to desire to crash your computing gadget. If the computing device is older, I recomend cleansing out any unessassary utility or taking it in to get a checkup.

Im assuming it automaticly shuts off your computer, standby mode. go to control panel, then power options and make sure its not set to automaticly turn off to a set ammount of time, so basicly search all around in power options.

but standby mode selection SHOULD be the one thats causing it

Go to your desktop page, right click and go to properties.

Then click on the ScreenSaver tab.

Under the monitor power, click on "Power.."

Select "Turn off monitor: After 20 mins"

Set the others to : Never

Go in to the Start/control panel and then click on the monitor, now go to the place where you set the time for your computer-screen.

• steve

Look for power saving configuration in the control panel.