what qualifications do i need to apply for a job in social services?

i have a diploma in counselling. will this help?

40 Answers

  • tink
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    yes i got my counselling after i became a social work and it helps.

    you need a BA(hons) or MA social work there are several good university that offer this qualification. the best 3 are Lancaster, Sheffield and Uclan (all on the web) you will need GSCE maths and english and the normal entrance for uni...

    the BA is a 3 year and the MA is a 2 -3 years

    it can be a rewarding job good luck

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Only a degree / diploma in social work will allow you to practice as a social worker. However for positions such as family support worker (formally known as assistant social workers) it is less about formal qualifications and more about life experience and a broad understanding of the issues around the service user group you wish to work with.

    For example a family support worker for a children and families team will need to have a working knowledge of why families experience crisis, what support may help children prosper within their own home, child development, assessment tools (National Assessment Framework etc) and debates around child protection.

    An ability to communicate and establish relationships is crucial, and to formulate and adequately explain an argument. Basic english and maths is a must but a broad range of life experience will be much better received than merely a list of qualifications. Absolutely a diploma in counselling will help but you need to argue that you could adopt much more of a partnership approach than a wholly counselling one would lead you to! And always in interview return to a client-focussed perspective. good luck!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Hi, It depends what you want to do in Social Services.

    You could start by applying for a caring role such as a home carer family aid worker etc. They don't normally ask for qualifuications but may require experience in caring posts. I think that a caring attitue and life experience is what they are looking for.

    You could apply for an assistant SW post and you would work with the SW's following a care plan laid out by the SW.There are other posts in some areas who work as SW's but hold less complex case loads although they are not qualified SW's.

    OT's and OT technicians work in the comminity adapting houses and providing equipment to promote independance at home.

    There are jobs in Childrens, children with disabilities, LD, adults and mental health.

    If you wish to train as a SW a K100 through OU is a good start. SW degrees run over 3 years - they may take your qualification as units towards it. You can either do this off your own back or get an unqulified post with SSD and hope that they will sponser you. The best place is to look on the net for the local council website and they will have a list of vacancies and local universities.

    It is hard work - could you tell an elderly lady that because of budget cuts you were taking away her home help that she has had for 7 years and she will have to pay privately while she is crying (not nice for you or her!)? Could you cope with aggressive and volient clients and relatives? Can you be non judgemental? Could you cope when clients make complaints about you (normally when you say no)? You can see from some of the negative comments on here what people think of childrens SW's. Also the 1st one who like alot of people mistakenly think that Social Services are the same as the Dept of work and pensions. You will rarely get thanks and most people seem to hate SW's!

    I have worked for many agencies, including the NHS and have never had such appalling conditions and bizzare management, I do the job becauase, for some people, we make a real difference to their lives.

    If you can then go for it!

    Source(s): me!
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I'm a Support Worker but with a Non-Profit company. You may like to know Social Services no longer exists and is known as something else now.

    I got my job because recruitment is poor. People qualities are preferred over qualifications.

    Now I'm doing a Foundation Degree in Health & Social Care with Sunderland Uni. Tht could get me on the way to becoming a Social Workershould I choose that route.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    I work for social services, I have the RMN registered mental nursing. I work in mental health, and learning dissabilities. I am not really convinced the Diploma in counselling is enough. All jobs for manchester city council seem to ask for the dipsw, or cqsw, or at least an NVQ4 for even an unqualified position.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Rob E
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    They have many job types at Social Services, including Social Workers (SW). There is a lower level job, usually referred to as 'Support Worker', and these people usually spend much of the day to day time with clients, more than the the SW's themselves. Often Support Workers, who show competence, will take on some of the role of the SW's, possibly contributing towards assessments etc.

    Quals - Good written language skills and maths, preferably with some GCSE's. A degree for a SW is good, as it proves academic skills. Alof of SW's get paid course fees and time off for training, Masters level degrees etc.

    Experience counts for alot. I know an ambulance driver who went on to become a support worker in the mental health section of a Social Services dept, so aptitude / ability, however it can be demonstrated is key.

    Getting in is important, as internal moves are easier and you'll see internal job vacancies too. Perhaps your 1st job there won't be the ultimate that you'll aim for.

    I'd suggest 'A' levels to start Social Worker training, if you have limited other work experience.

    Good luck! Rob

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    depends on the job you want to apply for - if you want to be a Social Worker then you will need to study the Social Work Degree. Contact your local social services office as some will take on Community Care Workers or Day Care Support Workers to assist Social Workers and support you to train.

    Good Luck.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Yes, it will help. You didnt actually specify which area of social services or which country you are in. You could get a support workers job, or something else like that. If you want to be a social worker, you must do the degree. If in Britain, the open university offer a fantastic course adn you can do it in your spare time. ALso, going to your local council adn asking if there are any jobs in that field, they may be able to take you on whilst sponsoring you through the normal university route too. The possibilities are actually endless. Good luck! P.s the other person who mentioned K100, that was the first course that I did as I am beingput through the degree programme by my work (you have to be sponsored through your emplyer) K100 is a fantastic course) you can probably even use your qualifications to possibly fast track....

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    A sociology degree won't do it for you. counclling diploma might help your application but you will probably need a DipSW (Diploma of Social Work)certificate to work in the field in the UK.


    In addition and in response to a lot of the answers above, i would suggest you also have a high endurance of stress and a tolerance of beaurocracy.

    Sociol Workers are trained and are highly capable people who often have a bad reputation. (looks up) the truth of the fact is that it is the government legislation and beaurocracy that limits the powers of social workers to help the people that are in dire need of it. people will always resent anybody that is seen to be checking up on their family life despite them having only the most honourable of intentions. and people do not realise that for a Social worker to ensure people are safe and well, they do have to do this and follow the proceedure the government lays out for them.

    Source(s): I have a useless sociology degree and looked into working in that feild of work
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Not all jobs that fall under social services require you to have a social work degree.

    Experience is just as important unless you want to be a social worker then obviously you wil need a degree

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.