What is the symbolism behind trains in literature or in general?

I have read the story "The Bride Comes to Yellow Sky" by Stephen Crane and I was wondering if there was any symbolism behind the train considering that it takes up a portion of the story. If you haven't read the story, i would like to here your views on what trains could possibly symbolize in life and or books. Thank you for your time.

Favorite Answer

I've never read the story, however have studied literature. Look at the context in which the train is used. Throughout the story, what are the characters doing in their lives when the train is mentioned? When I think of trains, I think of what they sound like from a distance and the sound of a train whistle. This is a lonely sound. Or possibly it's used to symbolize the character's wanderlust since trains are associated with hobos traveling from city to city. The train goes everywhere. It could also be symbollic of perseverance...chug, chug chugging along steadily. The train was placed for a reason, as is everything in a story, so it does have some relevance.