taylor ! asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

Can Blind People See Their Dreams?

Even though there is a problem with their retnia to their brain to produce images, can they still see dreams, or does their blindess prevent them from that? Please, real answers.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hey,

As an expert writer on lucidly.com, I would like to share with you my knowledge if blind people dream.

Dreaming is a fascinating experience that all people experience. The big question is, do blind people dream? Blind people are unable to see things, so does that mean that all they see in their dreams is a black void? What if they’ve been able to see before and they become blind later in life, does this mean they will see in their dream? At what stage of their life does it determine if they can see in their dreams or not? If they do dream, what do they dream about? What if they were blind from birth? I am going to embark on a journey to discover the answer, and conclude this once and for all.

At first stop, we come to a page about Helen Keller. Helen Keller was born both blind and deaf at birth. This means that, if blind people can’t see, they must hear things in their dream, but in her case she was blind and deaf both from both. If we read what she said, we find out that at around age 12, before and after she had a tutor, her dreams were devoid of sounds, imagery, thoughts, and emotions of any kind. She says that she often dreamed in forms of sensations, and she often dreamed of fear. One dream she recalls was that an object would fall noisily, and it would cause her to wake up from her sleep. She could feel the vibrations and sensation of fear. By the time she learned more about physical objects around her, she started to dream of them. Her first dream was of a wolf coming and eating her. Her tutor read to her the story of Little Red Riding Hood, and spelled it out on her hand, but she began to feel and imagine it in her dreams. As Helen Keller learned more and more about the outside world, she could start to see her dreams taking form, and it was easier for her to name and notice what she was thinking about. No longer was she afraid.

Perhaps, the age at which you become blind can determine whether your dreams are meaningful and full of vision. We continue on, to a page about a young girl who’s been blind when she was fairly young. Sadly she tells us that, “Blind people do dream, what they see in their dream depends on how much they were able to see.” She’s able to remember objects and people in full color. Perhaps one problem she has is as time goes on her ability to remember faces become harder. To her, her mother will always look like she’s 30, because she has never seen her mother after that point. Clarity and frequency seems to fade as time goes on.

Being blind at various stages of your life is an important factor in deciding whether they’ll have dreams or not. Before the age of five, children will hardly remember any visuals, because their ability to remember imagery hasn’t been fully developed yet. Between ages five and seven, children may or may not be blind. Most people who become blind after seven, dream in full color, but over time, the color may become lost.

It may seem that, if you have complete visual of something, you should be able to dream it, although there have been some cases of dreamers who see objects even though they were blind from both. One famous example which contradicted traditional thinking is a case where two congenitally blind subjects report the ability to see objects in their dream. Without any visual experiences to recall from, how do they see in their dream? According to researchers who conducted the research, they were merely seeing through a metaphorical use of vision, especially since one of the subjects said that she could tell that “silver objects were beautiful”, because when she touched them, they “felt pretty”. Though it is quite certain, that they don’t perceive it in exactly the same way that someone with vision does, there ability to distinguish between objects, and recognize it in their dreams support the theory that the brain can produce images just on the basis of touch. Those of us with sight would be able to correlate the word beautiful, or pretty, with something which looks that way, just as someone who’s congenitally blind, may be able to visualize that just through touch.

Perhaps one of the barriers to fully understanding if blind people do dream the same way that visually-adept people dream, is the fact that people blind from birth may never be able to give us a direct answer. How would someone who’s blind from birth tell us if they think they did “see” what we’re “seeing?” People with vision like you and I, have taken for granted that blind people would be able to see just like you and me. Their perception may be in fact very different, or they may be able to see but haven’t recognized the sensation of seeing fully vivid colors. But do they really see what we see?

It’s not required to see something in order to fully dream of it. Sound may in fact make up for the lack of vision. A blind person who hasn’t seen an airplane, but have heard it pass over, would recognize that it is a very big and loud object. He/she will hear that it’s very loud, and by the descriptions he/she would be able to imagine the shape, and colors of it. Words and music can sometimes even completely describe the emotion and what is happening, and a person who has never seen something before may be able to imagine the sensation.

Along this journey we have explored many interesting observations and documentations. Dreaming varies from person to person, especially given the conditions in which they were in. Do blind people dream? Yes, blind people do dream, and sometimes they do see objects and colors. Do blind people see images exactly like us? If they have seen it before after the age of 7, there is a very good chance that they see images like us, but their memory of the vision will fade with clarity over time. What does someone blind from birth dream of? Someone who was blind from birth will dream of strong sensations, perhaps emotional ones. Some may even be able to imagine objects after using their over senses to observe it. But they won’t be able to see in colors since they lack the ability to do so. So, do some blind people have dreams that seem to be just like us? The answer is, if they were blind from birth, not quite. But they will be able to understand, the powerful emotions and sensations, of what is going on.

-Hanson So

If you would like to read more great articles. Please visit http://www.lucidly.com! and yes, I can lucid dream. ;)

• Donnie4 years agoReport

Actually, Helen Keller was not born blind and deaf. She became blind and deaf after an illness when she was 19 months old.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

Can Blind People Dream

• 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/sFseP

I assume you mean by the blind the ones who could never see. Then, someone who could never see might have never dreamt at all as, if they had even if only once the way normal people do, they might have woken up going crazy due to the strangeness of their experience, that would not have made any sense to them. It would have been like a normal person having an experience of another dimension. This therefore suggests that the blind either do not dream at all, or if they do they do it all the time, in their imagination, in a world of their own, just as strange to the seeing as is the world of the seeing to the blind. If you have read Helen Keller's The Three Days to See, then you know the way she expresses her wish of being granted three days to see. I see this as one person's way of dreaming. I believe our hope, wishes desires are part of our regular dreaming, that no one in the world is without. I think we all dream in our own special ways. Do the seeing see all that is there to see?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There really is no way to tell for sure but I would assume that they would not. When you dream your mind is sorting information and builds dreams based on memory. The blind person, had they been blind for their entire lives, would have no memory of sight. One would then assume that they cannot see in their dreams. However: They may be able to through genetic memories. Animals pass genetic memories through each other naturaly for the benifit of a species. This is why humans naturally fear and jump at the sight of a coiled snake. (some human somewhere along the line was bitten by a snake after the snake assumed that possition so that human passed this memory on. There is a chance that Blind people could build dreams baised on genetic memory.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Everyone dreams (blind people included) and in general, people's dream experience is similar to their waking experience. For those that were blind from birth, they do not have a lot of visual stimuli to draw on for their dreams, so they have dreams that are primarily auditory, tactile or even involve taste and smell. People who lose their sight very early (before age five) apparently experience no visual imagery in their dreams. Visual imagery is a variable for those who lose their sight between ages five and seven. People who lose their sight after age seven almost always have some level of visual imagery present in their dreams. They've done extensive studies and have also found that REM sleep is disturbed (not absent) in blind people, so they may actually dream less.

• 5 years ago

i think blind people dream about what they have experienced through other senses, some people believe that they see spiritual things when they sleep. this might happen to people who are blind as well.

• 1 decade ago

i think blind people experience what they do in real life, a mental picture of where they go and what they do and they have dreams of their teachers and friends, either just hearing their voice from an unknown place or what they imagine if they were blind from birth. i really want to know what people who are lbind from birth imagine people look like and if they know about ethnicities or think about them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If the people were born blind, they have no REM and no visual imagery; the dreams consist of impressions from the other senses -- touch, hearing, smell, and taste. If the people were sighted and then became blind, they have REM (if the eye muscles have not yet atrophied), and their dreams contain visual imagery -- but these visual dreams might cease to occur eventually

• Jess H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

According to a friend of mine who is blind from birth, he doesn't "see" in his dreams. he experiences dreams the way he experiences reality.

I would assume that someone who has known sight can see in their dreams, they're dreaming about sight experience.

• 1 decade ago

I have an aunt that completely lost her sight about 30 years ago, and yes, she says she does see her dreams, as vivid as she did when she could see.

• 1 decade ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.