can u let tomato based dish sit in room temperature n not spoiling it for 24 hrs?

ex: gumbo, tomato stew, bolognese sauce, etc

Favorite Answer

A high acid dish would prolly be ok... but I wouldn't try it if meat or cream is involved.

Edited to add: Tomatoes are high in acid and acid does an excellent job at killing bacteria, but oddly enough it actually does a better job of this at room temerature than colder.

Why don't you just stay on the safe side and put it in the fridge if it needs to sit for 24 hours?

Certainly don't eat it if it has been sitting that long at room temperature. It doesn't matter if it's tomato pasted or not. Other ingredients in the dish will definitely go off.

• Maddy

Well, a lot of people do.

Personally, I feel that food, just about any food, needs to be placed in the fridge, and properly covered, as soon as it has cooled off.

My in-laws, however, never cover ANYTHING they put in their fridge, and they always leave food out ovenight and longer. I mean any food. Even paella. (that's seasoned rice with veggies, sausage, pork, poultry, & seafood!!!)

I make excuses to not eat most of their cooking. And I NEVER touch their leftovers!!!

But the point is, somehow or other, they're not dead yet...they seem to be immune to it, but I have been sick eating their food, so I wouldn't make a point of trying this out unless you've been eating this way all your life.

• ginger

A friend of mine from Greece was eating a piece of pizza she had left out overnight, tomato based, and when I questioned her about it being safe to eat, she told me that since it was tomato based, that it was still safe. She is an immaculate woman cleanliness wise,so i believe her. But,that is the only experience I have encountered on this subject so hopefully you will get a more educated answer than mine.

No. Bacteria will be running amok after about 8 hours at room temperature.

Don't eat anything that has sat out at room temperature for 24 hours.

When in doubt, throw it out.

No I personally would not take the chance, too many nasty little bacteria floating around. And food poisoning is not any fun when you have it yourself.

I wouldn't advise it if a refrigerator was present, but I wouldn't worry about it if I was out camping either.

• Paula

Umm no, give it to your next door neighbour instead

No. Throw it out.