smitty asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 decade ago

cervical leep surgery?

i had cryo & laser surgery about 10 yrs ago. i was clear for a while, then began having abnormal paps again (however hpv tests are negative). now my doctor wants to do a leep surgery. she wants me to go under general anesthetic, she said a local is fairly uncomfortable. can anyone offer advice on what to expect and recovery?

Favorite Answer

I can tell you what I went through when I had my Leep done. I suffer from Endometriosis so my doctor had to do it quickly because of the cramps that I was having, but they did give me a local and that helped. It was uncomfortable but not as bad as I thought it was going to. Afterwards I was told to take it easy for a day and then I could get back to everything in my day to day work.

Before I went I took some Motrin along w/ my pain meds (again for the Endo) and then when I came home I laid on a heating pad and took it easy, and I felt fine the next day.

Hope this helps you. Good Luck.

Run a search for LEEP and you'll find a number of websites that will give you a great deal of information including websites with actual patient forums. There's a lot of info and you can review it at your convenience. I wish you the very best luck with this.

Source(s): I'm a nurse.

My friend had that procedure done twice and said that she really didn't feel much. Good Luck.