Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

casatranio asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

If one cat has tapeworm,is it necessary to worm all the cats in your household?

One of my cats definitely has tapeworm,but the other two show no symptoms. I know animals get infested by injesting fleas,but can cats pick up tapeworm through using the same litter box,then licking their paws?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I would treat all the cats because if one cat was exposed to this (through fleas), then they all could have been exposed. It is only transmitted through fleas, not the litter. Roundworms can be transmitted through litter, so you should probably have them checked for that (fecal smear) if you haven't done this already.

By the way, humans are not at risk, unless they swallow fleas -- I suppose there's a remote chance of this happening, but I would not worry about it, although good flea control is important for all sorts of reasons.

• 5 years ago

When one of your cats has worms, and they share a litter box, then all will need to be treated. The best medications are from a vet, but you probably only have to take one cat in, along with a stool sample, and then tell the vet about your other cats. Most vets understand. Pill dose is based on weight, so you will need to know the approximate weights. And, a follow up sample needs to be only from one of the cats. If the follow up is negative, then only another sample after six months may be requested. Cats can get worms from flea bites, so take precautions in that area. Worm eggs are shed in the stool, so digging around in the litter box will scatter the worm eggs that they then can pick up on their paws. Don't fret. The treatments are relatively cheap.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

absolutely! treat the cat with the tapeworm at the same time. it's easily & cheaply treatable. unlike the consequence of not fixing it before it becomes a big problem. & it will!

bleach & animals do not mix! unless thoroughly rinsed & washed. if you're prepared to poison your animals, you'd be far kinder to take them out the back, tie them to a fence & hit them with a spade. there are plenty animal-friendly products from your vet to rid your home of parasites.

• Mas
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Yip you will need to worm all the pets in the house. If you have a dog as well then the pooch needs wormed too. Drontal do a worming syrup suitable for both cats and dogs.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, just incase the infected cat has passed it on or if the other cats where in the same place where the first cat got infected.

Cmiller

• 1 decade ago

I agree with Chula, if one cat has worms , it's a matter of time before they all have them. I have 4 cats and they all have to be wormed together

• Bigdog
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Yes they can, AND SO CAN YOU!

You need to talk to your vet and personal Doctor.

Our entire family had to take medication. All the linens, towels, furniture, carpet, etc. had to be sterilized, washed, steamed, etc. to get rid of the infestation.

• 1 decade ago

ohh yess be sure to worm them as soon as poss and as you said litter box food bowls also need to be cleaned pref bleach

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You should do all of them & bleach the house & boxes.Follow directions according to body weight & re-do if directions say so.

• Chula
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.