Windows XP does not shutdown automatically when I hit the RESTART button. Any ideas how to fix this?

"Windows is shutting down" appears but it never shutsdown.

Favorite Answer

Have you set Windows or any other program to clear the paging file at shutdown. If you have a large page file (virtual memory) it can take a longgggg time to overwrite it

You can manually shut down your pc by doing the folloing:

1. Create a new text document on notepad.

2.Type shutdown -s -t 10

3. The number ten at the end is the number of seconds until the system will shut down after you have done all of this. You can change it to 1 or 90000 if you want.

4. Save it as a .bat file.

5. Run it

Source(s): I use it regulary and I'm pretty sure it does no harm to the computer.

Because hitting the restart button makes the system restart...not shut dow.

buy a mac