take electives for the gpa?...?

I already have my bachelors- a B.A.. I want to go to grad school. bad thing is my grades sucked (2.4 to be exact). yes there were circumstances, but it all sounds like an excuse. am i able to take electives or blow off classes now and still have it count toward my undergrad gpa so i can have a chance at grad school acceptance?

Favorite Answer

Probably a waste of time as most grad schools look at the coursework gpa related to the degree you are applying for, unless your electives are related to the requirements for the degree you are seeking in grad school. For example, if you're applying for a PhD program in molecular biology, don't take music appreciation as an elective. If you do take blow-off courses just to boost your gpa then I'm sure the committee will pick up on it, and that might even count against you. If there were good reasons why your grades are low, you might want to explain that in your letter of application, which should be a work of art. Assure them that although your undergrad grades were low that it isn't a true reflection of your ability and that you will give grad school your all. Then, make sure you rock the GRE and get some outstanding letters of recommendation. I highly recommend you go visit with the faculty in the department you apply to so that they get to know you on a personal level. That will show them that you really want it and are motivated. You'd be surprised how much that can count for.

It depends on the graduate school that you want to go to and the requirements of the school or the program that you want to pursue. Some graduate schools have a probationary period for students who have sub-par graduate GPA requirements. Inquire to the schools.