Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Mendi8a asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

Do hot and cold make you sick?

There is a supersticion in my husbands family that drinking cold things are harmful, or that children must always be bundled up, even in warm weather. Is there any science related to this madness? Could being cold make you sick?

Favorite Answer

No way!!! Drinking things that are too cold might be uncomfortable if you have sensitive teeth or if your body is very warm but it certainly isn't harmful. However, the body's ability to absorb liquid is much easier if the fluid is closer to body temperature and you may feel more refreshed. I always drink water at room temperature for this very reason. Secondly, with regards to the 'bundling up' strategy; it is highly recommended by most (if not all) child care experts to AVOID over bundling your children - it is not necessary and will eventually diminish their natural ability to retain a healthy protective body temperature. If your child is sweating in the clothing they are wearing, then they are overdressed. Not only is this uncomfortable for the child but totally un-necessary. Recent studies are beginning to show that it is not being cold that causes a cold but being wet while cold - I've attached a link that is interesting regarding this study. I hope your not more confused now than before - this answer might seem somewhat contradictory.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?story...

When your body temperature is brought down by the cold (or up by the heat), it will make you more susceptable to illness from germs, but there are many factors that can lower your immune system's ability to ward off illnesses caused by germs. A poor diet, for example.

Even if bundling up your children were beneficial to staying heathy- What's the point of being healthy if even in warm weather, you are extremely uncomfortable! Unless your kids are extemely susceptable to illness, it just isn't practical.

I don't think there are any scientific studies that say drinking cold things is bad for you.I think all that would do is make your digestive system work harder.As for bundling the children in warm weather,becoming overheated can do much more damage than being cold,such as heatstroke,dehydration,and more.

that is not true...i agree with the person that sed germs make you sick, but also, bundling up in the warm weather can make your kids sick...becuz they may get dehydrated if they sweat alot from the heat

When your body gets cold, it can temporarily weaken your imune system, causing the likelyhood of you catching a cold from common germs a higher probability.

I haven't heard anything about hot, nor cold liquids.

Of course not. GERMS make you sick, not drinks or weather. GERMS. You can bundle up all you want in warm weather.....if any of you touch something covered in germs and then touch your eyes, nose or mouth...BINGO...you'll get sick.

Nope, but the sweet and sour with extra MSG makes me pretty ill.

• unck

possibly it has to do with your blood sugar? I also have a chum who has hypoglycemia and this occurs to her whilst her blood sugar fluctuates using not ingesting sufficient (skipped breakfast or something).