how do I place a "mark" on someone's credit report?

I have an ex-tenant who still owes rent money. If I cannot recover the money, I would at least want to put a complaint on his credit report.

Favorite Answer

You cannot personally do it. You need to hire an outside attorney or collection agency that specializes in debt collection. They MUST provide the user with their rights, and must follow the law. More specifically the Fair Credit Reporting Act and Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

You need to file a small claims complaint and get a judgment. All judgments will show on someones credit report.

• ?

Take them to court and get a judgment. Judgments and collections stay on your credit for 7-years.

Use a Sharpie pen (black or red) and put the word "bad" on the report.

sue them and get a judgement from the courts.