how many tiles needed?

okay i have 42 square feet of area. how many 12"x12" are needed?

Favorite Answer

42...each tile is one square foot...

• If it was my own install and it was one of my first, I would buy 15-20% more than the 42 tiles needed. It also depends on the shape of the room and the custom funky cuts needed to get around wall jutts, through doorway openings and such. The extra tiles leave you "screw-up" room and also leave you with a few extras so that 5 years from now, when the tile is discontinued; you can replace the cracked or broken one by smashing it out and sticking a new one in there. For the few extra bucks, the 'insurance' is worth more than having to re-do the floor due to breakage.

42 tiles plus 5. Tilers generally purchase 10% more than what they need for a job for cuts, screw ups, etc.