Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

how many tiles needed?

okay i have 42 square feet of area. how many 12"x12" are needed?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

42...each tile is one square foot...

• If it was my own install and it was one of my first, I would buy 15-20% more than the 42 tiles needed. It also depends on the shape of the room and the custom funky cuts needed to get around wall jutts, through doorway openings and such. The extra tiles leave you "screw-up" room and also leave you with a few extras so that 5 years from now, when the tile is discontinued; you can replace the cracked or broken one by smashing it out and sticking a new one in there. For the few extra bucks, the 'insurance' is worth more than having to re-do the floor due to breakage.

• 1 decade ago

42 tiles plus 5. Tilers generally purchase 10% more than what they need for a job for cuts, screw ups, etc.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.