Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

I finished my grad school interview/auditions. Should I follow up with thank-you emails?

Favorite Answer

You should send a thank you note of some kind. It follows up with the interviewer/auditioner and keeps a positive impression in their mind. It's usually considered more polite to send a handwritten card than an email, although there can be some exceptions. If the interviewer/auditioner was on the road (i.e. conducting interviews in several different cities), they probably won't get a card until they return to the University, which can often be too late. Or, if the decision is going to be made very soon, it may be better to send an email.

If you do send an email, make especially sure that it is a personal message, and couldn't even be /construed/ as a "form letter" sent to several different interviewers. Mention pieces of your interview, and maybe something about the school you interviewed for. Of course, that goes for a card in the mail, but it is especially important that they know the email is to them personally.

Best of luck with getting into grad school!

Source(s): Miss Manners interview on NPR over the summer about email thank-you notes
  • Laurie

Hello. Well I don't know if I can say what he was REALLY saying, I'm not Jesus. But I'll give it a shot. You may relate this phrase to the title of a "born again christian". The belief being that they now see the kingdom of God because they have been saved by Jesus and therefore, "born again". Rebirth can mean almost anything, metaphorically, such as rejuvenation or simply a change in thought. The gist of the saying is that, until a man changes his thoughts to the ways of God and light, he will not see the final kingdom. Thank you and Good bye. P.S- Anything stated in the above message is my own opinion and is not presented as fact. You are free to disagree and I apologize for any offense I may have inadvertently caused, however I assure you that it was not my intention nor would I choose to push any of my beliefs upon the reader. Thank you and Good bye.

No I don't recommend it your Instructors/teachers have enough emails flowing through system by spam and a bunch of emails they don't really care for. My English teacher for example said to us in class last week "Don't send my personal emails because I will not open them especially attachments because they might have a virus" he went on about how funny he thought it was when some student in his class sent out some pictures to him in his email box. I seriously think its nice but don't recommend it!!!

You should follow up with a card in the mail, not an email.

• Mike V

I just sent an e-mail thanking them for the opportunity to work w/ them. I'm a violinist though, different depts. or schools may like something else.

Absolutely! That reminds the interviewers of you!

• Linkin

I dunno. I'm old school. I still favor the paper letter type. Can be typed, but should be sent through regular snail mail.

But a thank you letter of any kind is a must.