Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Other - Destinations · 1 decade ago

Do I need a passport to go to alaska?

Do I need a passport to go to alaska?

Additional Details

1 minute ago

I am not stopping in canada but going to go straight through to alaska what documents do I need to bring with me so I can cross the Canadian Border?

0 seconds ago

I am from the United States

3 Answers

  • JuanB
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    For the next 12 to 18 months (depending on new rule implementation time) you require a birth certificate (proof of citizenship) and a driver's license (proof of identity) for any Canada/US border crossing that isn't by air. There is no difference between crossing the border into Canada or crossing into the USA, they both will require this information.

    Good luck with the straight through trip - it is 35, or 40 hours of driving within Canada, so it doesn't have any baring on the regulations.

    Source(s): American citizens and permanent residents do not require a passport or visa to enter Canada. All you need are travel documents proving identity and proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency. Acceptable documents include photo identification, such as a valid driver's license, plus a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or green card.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    So I must assume you are driving? If so, you do not need a passport to cross the Canadian Border until 1/1/2008, but you will need your ID and maybe a birth certificate at the moment.

    If you are flying into Canada and heading on to Alaska you will need a passport to get back into the USA.

  • 1 decade ago

    If you are flying directly, NO.....................

    If you are driving and going through Canada, again NO....

    I went into the US Gov web site and it said that for now, the only time you would need a passport is if you are flying, but not for driving, all though in about a year that may change.... You will still need proof of citizenship ....

    If you are going by Cruise Ship, and not stopping in Canada, again , no, a passport is not needed...

    Source(s): US Gov Web Site
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.