Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Why is the Democratic an elephant?

I'm working on an American Government project. I try and find it on the computer but I don't understand as well.

Favorite Answer

Actually, the symbol of the Democratic Party is the donkey and the symbol of the Republican Party is the elephant. They were taken from political cartoons by Thomas Nast in the 19th century.

Both the Mule and the Elephant is not what they are supposed to be.

The Elephant is the symbol of the Republicans, and the Mule the democrats;

The Left out third parties had 190 third parties in 2004; votes not counted for 50 state attorney generals negated the third party ballot while our soldiers were dying giving Iraqis 2000 political parties the right to vote.

Figure it out for yourself.

Its not that hard.

Probably because what you're searching for is backward: the elephant is Republican and the donkey is the Democratic Party. Here's a run-down:

http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0881985.html

Republicans are the Elephants.

Democrats wish they were the elephant... they are actually a donkey.

Your project will not be any better than GWB's when he was in high school.

You both are stupid, how can you mix up the elephant and donkey ? You on drug ?!!

• Republicans are elephants

Democrats are donkeys

The symbols grew out of political cartoons in the 1800s, I believe.

I hope this is some help.

because the republic people think elephants are strong and smart

it is a donkey not an Elephant it is a donkey because they are all Jackasses LOL jk

Eh, both parties are dung beetles.