Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Is drinking from a straw easier on a toothache?

Favorite Answer

Yes. I just had a large filling done and my tooth is VERY sensitive. I have been drinking most things through a straw. Now, if you have a tooth pulled, NEVER drink through a straw. That can give you a dry socket.

Source(s): I was a dental assistant for 5 years.

Drinking from a straw is a good way to prevent toothaches when you're drinking sugary syrupy drinks like pop. Drinking from a straw might also be easier on your toothache since you already have one.

Yes it is easier to drink in a straw if you have a toothache.

Generally speaking yes, drinking from a straw is no where near as bothersome as drinking stright out of a glass if you have a toothache.

Now... GO TO THE DENTIST...

• If the toothache is just on one side, you can use the straw to suck the drink to the other side of the mouth, and it can ease the sensitivity, however, most liquids will move round the mouth before you get a chance to swallow so it won't always help, but it is worth a try!

Yes, drinking through a straw is much better, but the best suggestion would be to go to the dentist and get it sorted out before it turns into an abscess.

I think so because you can avoid direct contact with the drink to your tooth...

especially if the drink is very hot or cold.

Yes, because it keeps the cold liquid off of the tooth that is hurting.

It may be, the cold wont directly hit the tooth like it would if you sipped.

It depends, if it hurts less, do it, sometimes the sucking can cause it to hurt worse.