Freshwater asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Platy pregnant - should it be protected?

I have a platy which stays still just wagging its tail and head. I assume its pregnant. Is my assumption right? It is being harrassed by two other platies. Should I isolate this platy in a corner of the tank so that it is left alone and the future baby fishes can easily be protected? If I do this it will put some stress on the platy. Is this the right action to take?

Favorite Answer

Yes you need to separate them soon if you don't when it has the baby's the other fish will eat them and it is always a good idea even if it is not pregnant to separate them if they do not get along!

Good luck!

P.S.you can always go to a petsore if you have any more questions!

Your fish sounds stressed, not pregnant to me. That wagging or shimmying you see is a sign of stress usually brought on by a rapid change in water quality. Try a large water change and add 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of the tank size. Also check to be sure that the temperature is in the 74-80 F range.