Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Freshwater asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Platy pregnant - should it be protected?

I have a platy which stays still just wagging its tail and head. I assume its pregnant. Is my assumption right? It is being harrassed by two other platies. Should I isolate this platy in a corner of the tank so that it is left alone and the future baby fishes can easily be protected? If I do this it will put some stress on the platy. Is this the right action to take?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes you need to separate them soon if you don't when it has the baby's the other fish will eat them and it is always a good idea even if it is not pregnant to separate them if they do not get along!

Good luck!

P.S.you can always go to a petsore if you have any more questions!

• 1 decade ago

Your fish sounds stressed, not pregnant to me. That wagging or shimmying you see is a sign of stress usually brought on by a rapid change in water quality. Try a large water change and add 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons of the tank size. Also check to be sure that the temperature is in the 74-80 F range.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.