What is your body not getting if your fingers under your rings are turning black daily? does anyone know?

Ok I know that It is not Cheap Jewelry and I know that I am not allergic to it I have had them for 10 years and the ones that it is really happening to is my wedding band and it is 14 k gold. I know that there is a mineral that if your body does not get enough of will take from your jewelry causing it to leave a black mark. Just can not think of what it is.

It is Yellow Gold

Favorite Answer

If you've been wearing them for that long and never had a problem, your probably not allergic. You could be deficient in Iron. That will cause your skin to turn black under the jewelry.

• Lyn

It sounds like your skin is reacting to the metal from which your rings were made. Go without them for a few days to make sure. If the blackness disappears, then the problem is with the rings and not your fingers. If the metal in your rings contains nickel (much jewelry does) you could be allergic.

It is not the mineral that you are missing, it is the ring reacting with the salts that are in your body..it will turn your fingers green or black..a good trick is to take clear nailpolish and polish the jewlery when you buy it..let it dry...now you should not have this problem anymore..you can go to a jewlery store and have them dip it for a fee.

It's the RING turning your skin black.....not some deficiency in your body. You are wearing cheap jewelry. That happens.

14 K gold is an alloy. It contains several metals besides gold. One of these metals is reacting to the salts in your skin to produce the place color. If one of the metals is Silver, this would definitely account for the place color.

Is it White Gold, Yellow Gold, or perhaps one of the lesser used other colors (Rose gold, green gold, purple gold, etc)?

Yellow gold often contains Silver. At least one 14K yellow gold formulation contains 4% silver, 31.2 copper, and 6.3% Zinc. Silver forms Silver sulfide (black) when exposed to the sulfur containing compounds in skin and sweat.

If the ring is too tight and left on for long periods of time , it is probably due to a lack of air and oxygen.

a friend of mine had an allergy to jewelry, she told me the jeweler had some kind of "dip" they could coat the jewelry with so she could wear it, I would ask your local jeweler about it