Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

i cant seem to control how much i eat, its like once i start i cant stop-ways to avoid eating SO much?!!?

Favorite Answer

Try taking Mega-Hoodia from the health food store.

Exercise really hard every day-it will release endorphins into your bloodstream and that will help you feel better.

Compulsive overeating is an addiction little different than alcohol or narcotics or sex or gambling or other additions.

Some people are successful at controlling the binging using food-oriented programs like weight watchers, and that is a possible starting place.

Other people have repeatedly failed at that, and have had to move to an alternative that focuses on more than just the food. Overeaters Anonymous is a 12 step program based on the principles of Alcoholics Anonymous that has as its primary purpose to abstain from compulsive overeating.

If diet and food oriented solutions don't work for you, you can find a local OA meeting by visiting OA.ORG

Good luck with finding some recovery. Realize that you're not alone, and that lots of us have struggled with compulsive eating.

• Dale

I've had the same problem and I have found the only way to do it is not to start. But what I am doing now is just to have self control. At present I am on a two cans of sardines and salad a day. I have found that I am not really hungry, it's just that I am bored and sit around too much watching TV etc. I found if I get out and stay busy by walking etc. that I don't get hungry. So limit your food on the table in front of you, so your not tempted and keep your mind off food by keeping active. In my case looking at my self in the mirror helped and I didn't like what I saw body-wise. Forget about those diet pills like Hoodia etc. they aren't going to do you any good, just more products that dont' work.

You need to portion your food prior to sitting to the table. Eat 5-6 small meals a day this will help with over eating. You should stop eating as soon as you think you are full. Dont wait for the I AM full feeling because by then you have eaten way too much. Drink water prior to eating as well this will fill your stomach. Hope this helps

• JustMe

It is called binge eating. It is an eating disorder, just like bulimia or anorexia. You will need to get some help. You need to get someone to help you portion your food correctly and help you to avoid your eating habits. Weight Watchers is a good program. There are others that are good too. They help you with portion control and give you the tools you need to avoid binge eating.

• maran

Try to find othe hobbies. Of course and you can control how much you eat. It seems to me that you are not willing to give up this habit of yours.