what does the idiom "chopped liver" mean?

anyone knows any site with a COMPLETE idioms list? tnx

8 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It means nothing, insignificant, as in:

"Oh, so and so is so great"

"And what am I? Chopped liver?"

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Why do you think "chopped liver" is an idiom?

There is an expression, "What am I, Chopped liver"? That one uses when they appear to have been overlooked in a conversation....for example, if someone comes into a room and greats everyone else, the person that wasn't greeted might say,"What am I, chopped liver"?

Chopped liver is often served molded into a shape...so, the question is asking if the asker was mistaken for a mold of liver.

• 1 decade ago

When someone uses the term "chopped liver," it's usually as a metaphor for something without value. As in, (in response to being ingored, etc), "What am I, chopped liver?"

There may be other uses but that's the one I've heard.

As far as a list of all colloquial uses of language, given that new ones are popping up everyday, that would be nearly impossible.

However...

www.urbandictionary.com

might be the closest you can come.

:)

• marie
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I once saw a picture of a banquet table with Mel Brooks' face sculpted in chopped liver. Funniest thing to see. It means, do I look like a fake? An impression? I'm the real deal here, buddy.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ridge
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Casse toi might desire to be translated as - scram or wander away, and pauvre con could be fool or jerk. It sounds lots extra piquant in French nevertheless so tough translations do not do justice to what he stated. it is somewhat highway language and not some thing dignified which you're able to anticipate from the pinnacle of state of a significant potential.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To be compared to chopped liver is a good thing.

I cannot think of any other food that tastes as great and is as full of nutrients as chopped liver.

• Dashes
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

it means dead or mutilated

as for a complete list, im sure google can come close.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

same as , "What am I , the duece of clubs?"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.