homebuilt airplane?

I want to know the possibility of making an airplane out of a dirtbike engine. I was thinking a 650 4 stroke. I would like it to be light as possible and be able to carry 2 poeple and a bag or two. any idea how fast this would go and if i could take it off and land it from a field?

what if i used a larger 1000cc engine from a sportbike or maybe 2 650cc's? or maybe even a vw beetle? i was just attracted to a dirbike because it has an engine, brakes, and suspention

Favorite Answer

No, its not practical. There are dozens of reasons I could go into, but I'll give you what I consider the deal breaker.

The biggest issue is the need for a gearbox/transmission. To generate the amount of power you need (pretty much maximum power for these engines), you will need to run them at approaching the maximum rpm. For a sport bike engine, this can be anywhere from 10,000rpm, to 15,000 rpm. A propeller only runs about 1,500rpm-2,500rpm. That means you're going to need a gearbox to take care of the rpm difference. It will get even more complicated if you need to modify the engine to idle at an appropriate prop speed.

While it probably can be done by a clever and handy builder, I consider it not worth the money. You can get a special built aircraft engine for not much more money than a 1000cc sport bike engine.

You can never make an airplane out of a dirtbike engine. You can never take off, and if you do, you might stall due to a little wind (or turbulence). You might be able to make an airplane out of a superbike engine, but it takes quite long time to start up. Also, the possiblity of building an ultralight plane is low, as you have to make sure that the plane is VERY stable and not turn up down left right when there is turbulence. My suggestion is to make the frame of the airplane out of stainless steel and make the plane as aerodynamic as possible.

Source(s): Discovery channel

I don't know about a fully functional plane, but you could probably make an ultralight with that engine. A 650cc only has about 50 hp, I don't think it's enough to get more than one person in the air. You're probably looking at 35-40 knots with a single occupant.

It's been done many times before. In fact, mod kits for VW engines are comercially available. Check the EAA website and look at ads in something like the "Kitplanes" magazine or their site.

Yes it would work but you would need a huge wingspan for such a small engine.

I am not sure of the physics but I am figuring with such a puny little motor, you would nead at least a 30Ft wingspan for each wing to even get off the ground, even then your airspeed may not be sufficient to keep you in the air for long.

Maybe if you made it out of balsa wood or paper mache it might work.

HEY, SERIOUSLY! WATCH OUT here -- BIG TIME SAFETY DEAL!

talk extensively with ultralight people -- LEARN. read mags

read all you can about ultralights -- LEARN read mags/use Internet

FAA approved home-builts are [judging by your Ques.] above your level

STAY AWAY FROM trying to become a "I'll teach myself aviator" [Russian roulette is easier to learn and faster]

you are guaranteed to reach terminal velocity with almost any machine that

is man made, can fail, and can reach sufficient altitude prior to total failure.

Go to some local airports and find some experienced aviators with home built

aircraft. You'll likely learn it's more than you realize, but you'll have a worthwhile outing anyway.

Source(s): {experienced combat+ aviator} = I haven't begun to learn a thing YET flying is FUN, flying SAFELY requires a lot MORE!

one person planes that go at about 30mph use a volks waggon engine, i doubt you can get much off the ground with a dirtbike engine.

have you ever thought of making a auto gyro i think that would be better and easier than a plane