promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

93 Olds Acheiva - Testing the TPS and IAC?

How do I test the TPS and IAC? What ranges am I looking for? Any other tricks for checking if the timing belt has broke or slipped (other than the obvious taking cover off or watching the rockers)? 93 Olds Achieva Will not start was idling REALLY bad before death. Had to hold pedal to floor to keep running. Now it will not start at all. Occasionally sounds like it backfires thru throttle body.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You would need to know the voltage/resistance parameters for the TPS and IAC. Try putting a voltmeter across the various terminals and see if the resistance changes smoothly, or if it's jumping around alot. IAC is generally controlled by the ECM by altering voltage/pulse duration, usually motor or solenoid activated, and neither is likely your problem.

Easy way to check for snapped timing belt is simply to crank the engine over, and if it spins much faster than usual, it's cause the resistance offered by the valvetrain is no longer there. Not sure what engine was in these Olds, but if it's a six cyl, it's likely got a timing chain, not a belt, and these almost never fail. Sounds more fuel related to me, or very bad spark issue (failing coil, primary). Hope this helps.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • rat396
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

With a scan tool reading the data stream. KOEO, TPS voltage should be about .5V with no throttle applied, WOT TPS voltage should be about 4.5V. You can remove the IAC and visually check the pintle position. Your problem doesn't sound like TPS or IAC, though. Check CMP and CKP for proper operation. Again, with a scan tool, see if the ECM is showing RPM when cranking.

• demmon
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

India had an in intensity to perfect experience after Australia's first innings batting,i idea it develop into sturdy first innings from Aussies yet India scored so quick as by way of the Dhawan and co and Australia's 2d innings capitulation that got here about so instantly on the perfect day can't be defined even through Ian Chappell.Batting for India clicked so nicely in this series,they'd an in intensity to perfect experience.Australia could've drawn this experience yet they ended up dropping on the perfect day as by way of the some undesirable batting in 2d innings.

• 1 decade ago

It sounds as though the timing has slipped and needs to be readjusted with a timing light. This is not a job for anyone who is not a mechanic

Naiwahs

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.