Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesHonda · 1 decade ago

Is this product legit?

Favorite Answer

Yes they allow you to override the factory setting with a laptop. For the tuner guys who know what they are doing.

I have been working in an automotive repair shop for over 5 years. These performance modules operate by substituting values for the computer rather than the computer using the sensors to determine what it should do as in advance or retard timing, change the air/fuel mixture, etc. In some cases your are taking a risk by changing these settings. A 25% gain is unreasonable. If there is any horsepower gain whatsoever it will probably effect your gas mileage which in turn increases your emission output. If the settings that this module changes had such a positive gain the manufacturer would preset the computer to run that way. Diesel engines are usually the only type of engine you would want to change the computer settings on. Hope this helps.

Seems fake to me. As a rule most Honda / Acura products your cars age OBD2a/b up to 2000 are tuned well from the factory.

Only way to get more power is by adding parts and then retuning.

Ford and Toyota for example are not tuned to their peak performance and can generally gain power from tuning.

RSX can also gain power from just tuning.

Another hint of the products flaws lie in the fact that it is recommended for 1996-2000 Si.

Honda only made Si in 1999-2000.

My guess is it is generic trash to waste economy and do little to improve performance.

PS same goes for any 'Chips' I would only get my car retuned once modification is complete. i.e. a whole package to gain most HP.

Sorry for the long answer

Hope it helps you,

KC

No, these products are usually scams, and nothing more than a few resistors, although this one does look a little more elaborate. It appears to be some sort of piggy back controller that modifies signals going into your ecu. Your ecu will adjust accordingly, but you probably wont see any power increase, and a 25% power increase, that's bs.

Use that 150 bucks to get a full catback exhaust or cold air intake. You'll get more power out of those and enjoy them alot more.

Side note: I've got a similar thing on my car, except mine is pressure activated and is used to richen the mixture under full boost, so I don't blow my engine. It only cost a few bucks.

Can't wait till I can afford a new ecu so I can throw that thing out!

Yes it is and venom is a very good company but I would invest in something like a vafc instead.

• Anne

No they are not, if your getting the pop ups a t a specific site then dont go to that site. If ur gettinf them everywhere then u have adware on your computer. Download Ad-aware from Lavasoft to clean your pc.

Those modules work on OBD-1 and up equipped vehicles by intercepting ignition timing codes and advancing them. In simple words you could say that it advances your ignition timing an the stock ecu compensates it with more fuel via the signal it receives from the Catalytic convertor.

In all reality, please do not buy it. its not a gimmick, but its not worth your money.

look through his ebay history and see if he has sold this to anyone else and see what they have to say and search the item on yahoo or google and see if you get any reviews on the product

buy one and let us know