German question: Difference between "die" and "sie"?

I have sometimes seen "die" used as a pronoun where logically it should be "sie", eg "Wo kam die her?" instead of "Wo kam sie her?" What is the difference? How do I know which one to use? Danke schoen.

Favorite Answer

Yes sometimes "die" is used as a pronoun where "sie" would make perfect sense. I don't think there's a good reason for it and the people who claim to be German are not answering your question. Very suspect!

I think in the example you give, the "die" is like saying "the woman" (but you don't actually have to say "woman"), whereas "she" is like saying "she". I'm pretty sure you could only say "die" if you've started off referring to her as "die Frau" (etc), you'd have to use "sie" if you've referred to her by name.

"Die" is definitely more likely to be used as a relative pronoun "who" (feminine) "Da ist die Frau, die fruher kam".

Source(s): German classes, but they never take!
  • dc87

I believe it is just another way of saying it and that either way, using "die" or "sie" would work and that "die" can be used for "sie" in certain circumstances when it means "she".

(And by the way, I'm far from an expert in German and I don't know if that's right, but I have been studying German for 5 years and it seems like that is why.)

There is only one Almighty God, Jehovah. Jesus does have a very special relationship to the Father. He is the only begotten son, the son of God. 1 John 4:9 says "By this the love of God was made manifest in our case, because God sent forth his only-begotten Son into the world that we might gain life through him." Jehovah's Witnesses have always taught this. Never is Jesus' position undermined.

• Mick3 years agoReport

why are you even here you stupid **** god isn't real but have fun praying to your imaginary friend in the sky

die is most often singular but can be plural when refering to a group of something.

sie can be either singular or plural also.,

meaning you or they.

Wo kamen die her? means "where did they come from?" it is just not clear which they the question refers to.

Wo kamen sie Her? usually means "where did you come from?" when you are addressing someone who you do not know well or is older than you.

I'm a German, and I know this!!! Die is those and sie is you.

I think 'die' means that, feminine, sie is she or they

DIE means THE feminine

SIE means either YOU formal or SHE (capitalized is YOU formal)

I cannot translate for you...are you sure it's written correctly.

i am from germany and james d. is right !