Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

how 2 train my pup 2 go 2 the bathroom outside he is 9mthold?

when i take him out he cant wait 2 get home and do what is has 2 on the floor

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Potty Training Your Puppy

A new puppy is a joyous addition to any home. Who can resist that cute little bundle of lovable furry fun? Wouldn't it be great if puppies were potty trained and came into our homes without any mess or bother? OK, reality check here.

Just ask any dog owner what the hardest task at hand is, and most will agree, that potty training is high on the list of unpleasant tasks. Actually, potty training is a simple task, requiring merely a little patience and diligence.

First, be mindful of puppies as infant dogs, not children. Dogs are creatures of Habitual Re-enforcement. Start early with the basics, and you will have a well trained and obedient friend for many years.

A sure fire method of potty training, at least in the opinion of a kennel and breeder friend of mine, is to simply catch the puppy in the act of relieving itself.

First, you need to decide where you want him to go to the bathroom. Immediately approach your puppy, pick him up gently but firmly, and tell him "No No" with a firm clear voice. Carry your puppy immediately outside, preferably to a pre designated area, and set him down on his haunches, holding him firmly for a few moments. If he still needs to relieve himself, keep him in that spot and pat and praise him when he's finished. OK! Not so hard, eh?

Guess what, he will do it again. So, make a game out of it, get the kids involved and when he starts to go, repeat the routine, acting immediately and firmly.

Puppies tend to be the center of attention at first, especially with kids, so there is usually someone at hand to scold the puppy in a gentle manner and immediately remove him to the designated site.

This method is a quick and effective method in toilet training any puppy, who, with the right amount of attention and praise, will be toilet trained in no time at all.

It's important to catch the puppy in the act. Coming home and finding the mess a couple of hours later and then getting upset and scolding the puppy will only make your job harder and confuse the puppy. What then, you may wonder? Well, a method that has worked for me is to carry the puppy to the offending deposit, showing him the mess and telling him No or Bad in a firm voice. This will allow the puppy to actually see what he is being scolded for. When the puppy can actually see what he is being punished for, he is more likely to remember.

• 1 decade ago

First you have to get him paper trained... Put newspapers on the floor everywhere he walks. Then after 2 weeks...minimize the amount of newspapers to one spot... the dog will be so use to going on the newspapers he won't go on the floor. Then place a newspaper outside where you want him to go to the bathroom, and the dog will begin to realize he can go outside. Give it 2 weeks for every move.

• 1 decade ago

first you need to watch for signs if pup starts to sniff around or head to his favorable spot it is time to take them out. next you need to be consistent and take him to the same spot every time and also give him the command to go potty. Most dogs will listen to commands. also praise the pup when the duty is done. Not with dogie treats but with affection. It is a hard task, but you can do it. Try to clap your hands as you are saying the command that way they can associate sound with the verbal command also. before long you will have a pup that will respond to the word potty. They do not know what they are doing wrong until you teach them. They are alot like kids at times. Good luck.

• i have 2 suggestions. first you try a housbreaking pad (found in pet depts). get the scented ones and put one outside. the scent draws them to it and triggers them to go. praise often and extensively every time he uses it.

or, if he poops in the house take it and him outside, put it on the ground and praise him. leave it for a couple of days and every time you take him out take him to that spot and when he sniffs it, tell him good boy. be patient. once he knows what is expected of him, a little light will go on and you'll both be excited. also clean the areas in the house that he's attracted to with white vinegar or another cleaner.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Take him out after sleeping,playing, eating

if you catch him in the act of peeing in the house make noise to get his attention and he will stop mid pee and immediately take him outside to finish, sooner or later pup will get the hint to go outside.

• 1 decade ago

he should be trained by now. check out crate training. it works well with very young dogs. my golden retriever was trained by 10 weeks of age. always take him to the same area to do his business and praise him once he does it. also be sure that you eliminate all odors from the accidents inside the house.

• 1 decade ago

this is how i did it. it only took one week. i established a certain place to go outside and always took her there.. i put a string of bells on the door knob and everytime i took her out to that spot i rang the bells, eventually she got the message ans started ringing the bell,,, i used walking just for exercise..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.