Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

what does the word "schmuck" mean?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Schmuck, a Yiddish word, has a range of meaning depending on context. In its most innocuous use, a schmuck is a person who does a stupid thing, in which case “dumb schmuck” is the appropriate expression.

A schmuck's behavior ranges from pesky and inconsiderate, to obnoxious and manipulative. A schmuck's personality type ranges from jerk to bastard.

Schmucky behavior also falls within a range of intentionality. Some schmucks carefully plan their bad behavior, some only a little, and some not at all. For example, the bastard may spend considerable time planning his bad deeds. In contrast, the dumb schmuck and the pesky behave badly without any forethought.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

The word schmuck has become common in American English meaning a detestable person, or a jerk. The word also means a stupid or idiotic person. In these senses, schmuck entered English as a borrowed word from the Yiddish slang for foreskin, (Yiddish: שמאָק, shmok), where it is an obscene term and an insult. In his famous cultural lexicon, The Joys of Yiddish, Leo Rosten lists the Yiddish schmuck as related to the Slovene word, šmok, meaning "a fool, an innocent, a gullible dolt."

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

SCHMUCK-

Vernacular Usage

The word schmuck has become common in American English meaning a detestable person, or a jerk. The word also means a stupid or idiotic person. In these senses, schmuck entered English as a borrowed word from the Yiddish slang for foreskin, (Yiddish: שמאָק, shmok), where it is an obscene term and an insult. In his famous cultural lexicon, The Joys of Yiddish, Leo Rosten lists the Yiddish schmuck as related to the Slovene word, šmok, meaning "a fool, an innocent, a gullible dolt."

Use in popular culture

Schmuck is a favorite expression of comedian Jackie Mason.

Mad Magazine often jokingly uses "Schmuck" as an insult to its readers.

Surname

Of German origin, Schmuck means jewel or jewelry. The name is commonly seen on signs and billboards in Germany and Austria related to the merchandising of precious jewelry. The Schmuck family name has been traced to the birth of Christian von Schmuck in 1370. In 1624, an Armorial Patent, or Coat of Arms, was granted at Rattenberg by Archduke Leopold V of Austria.

• Erika
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

What Is A Schmuck

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does the word "schmuck" mean?

Source(s): word quot schmuck quot mean: https://shortly.im/kORlI
  • 1 decade ago

Meaning of schmuck is the detestable person or a jerk.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have never had that word explained to me, but it's such a great word and, in my opinion, is self-explanatory. (I'm not sure but I think it may be a Yiddish word).

"That Eugene, he's such a schmuck!"

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Idiot.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.