Drywall finishing...?

Are there any alternative ways to finish drywall other than the traditional mud and tape method? I remember seeing something like a poly veneer process on a home improvement show where I don't believe that they had to tape the wall. They just spreaded the poly veneer over the wall and maybe sanded it. It was a plain white color and didn't have to be painted, but it could be. Where can I find more information on this or other drywall finishing methods? And what are the pros and cons of using each method? Thanks!

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If you hang plaster board you don't have to tape it but it takes years of experience to to produce a smooth finish in plaster. Also you have to apply a base coat "brown coat" and then a white finish coat. It does not have to be painted the finish coat is the finish. You can cover the wall board with paneling and it doesn't have to be taped or finished. You can do what is referred to as a knock down finish which doesn't require any real drywall finishing skills but all the seems and Connors still need taping. the best way to do a knock down finish is with a spray applicator. The compound comes in bags and if you mix it with both water and paint you don't have to paint it either. the first coat you spray on thin and light and let it sit for about 45 minutes. The second coat you apply allot heaver and mix it allot thicker also using paint and water so you don't have to paint. After about 25 or 30 minutes you use a very flimsy trowel that is designed just for this purpose and drag it one time in one direction over the walls and ceiling. After it drys that is it it is done.You can rent the spray equipment at most home centers or or rental shops. There are other types of finishes but they require more experience, the plaster I mentioned in the beginning is one of them. Good luck, Jim

Source(s): Over 30 years of construction experience.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.