JF4 asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

In the movie 300, King Leonidas says "We're in for one wild night." This isn't taken from Herodotus, is it?

I tried searching through his texts but I couldn't find any such statements so I figured this was just Hollywood script-writing.

And yes, the "fighting in the shade" quote is at least in Herodotus [doesnt necessarily mean it's true, but i'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt]

Favorite Answer

The main source for the movie 300 is the graphic novel of the same name by Frank Miller. Frank Miller is also the author of Sin City, another graphic novel that was recently adapted into a popular movie.

I have seen 300 already at a preview screening. I haven't read the graphic novel by Frank Miller, but my boyfriend has and he said after seeing the movie that the movie followed the novel almost to a T. Characters, visual style, script, etc all right in line with the look and feel of the novel. So I would imagine that line is more elder american comic book legend than ancient greek historical 'legend', as it were.

The movie did inspire me to go out and read up on the battle of thermopylae!

Judging from the trailer, they took what is an epic story on its own and turned it into some lame fantasy movie.

The lines about the arrows blocking the sun and fighting in the shade is supposedly true, right? Or is this one of those historical fallacies that has been perpetuated throughout time.

And "We're in for one wild night" sounds very Hollywood, I would wager it's not historical.

• Evi

the movie is totally fiction. almost nothing of this happened and i freaked out when i watched the trailer. i am greek and its embarrassing seeing my nations's history being treated like this!