Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesPontiac · 1 decade ago

How can I get my dome light to turn off?

Okay I have a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire and my damn dome light is stuck on. It will not turn off, so I just took out the lightbulb cause it was making me mad. If there is a switch, its hidden. I cant figure out whats wrong with this thing

Favorite Answer

Check the control on the dashboard. In 2002, Pontiac used a roller type switch to control the brightness of the dash lights. They also use the same switch to turn the dome light on and off. You'll feel it click as you take it off of maximum brightness.

They did this for one reason - to save money by putting one less switch/control on the car.

If this doesn't work, the switch is broken and you'll either have to replace it, or do as you did - take the bulb out.

Good luck!

Greg

I believe the dome light switches are now located within the door latch. Get a can of WD40 and spray liberally in all the door latches. I mean VERY liberally. WD40 won't hurt anything so if you see a little run out of the bottom of the door that's OK. You just have to make sure you hit the switch inside since you won't be able to actually see it. Open and close each door while you do this. If the switch is just stuck this should take care of it.

If the light swithes are the push button type located at the door pillars, make sure they are in good shape. Open one door at a time and push the button in to see if the light goes out. If one has a portion of the plastic broken off it may not be going in far enough to actually shut the light off.

it is a roll type switch when all the way up the dome light is one you want it up as far as possible before it goes over a little bump the roll switch also controls the brightness of the intereor lights so beware if you turn it all the way down your instrument panel will not light i own a 2000 trans am and its the same configuration

There should be a little wheel next to your light switch, it makes your dash lights brighter or dimmer if you roll it till it clicks in place it turns on the dome light. Just roll back down a bit then back up (just before) it clicks so your dash light will stay on and the dome light will be off.

PS: If its not a wheel and its like a pull knob - turn the knob!

**Phart**

the place the door closes, it has a capture for the dome easy to return on or bypass off. whilst the door opens, of direction the sunshine comes on. whilst it closes, of direction the sunshine turns off. verify the change on your door, the place the door closes and meets the front physique. All that's,is that the jam is worn down. you may rapid fix by using wading up some silver tape over the notch. and then whilst the door closes it is going to touch it and ... turn off your easy!

Could be a bad door switch, try cleaning the contacts in the switches by the door pillars.

• Lori F

close the door