Can anyone help? Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)?

I have a 2000 Ford Focus? Check Engine light came on and I had the diagnostic done. It said it was a bad Throttle Position (TP) Switch. I replaced It and it blew-out in ten minutes. Also the battery light comes on sometimes and just replaced that last month so I know nothing is wrong with the battery. I'm thinking it may be something electrical that is causing the new switch to blow-out and also make the battery light come on. Any suggestions or recommendation would help. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

You might have a short that's sending too much voltage to the TPS. This could cause that light to come on too if the car thinks the battery is at too high of a voltage... Take a voltameter to the battery while the car is running. Assuming its a 12V battery, test the voltage, anything over roughly 14.4V is too high.

• jarhed

What do you mean the new TPS "blew-out in ten minutes" ?

How did you determine that ?

The code will only tell you what circuit failed, not the actual part. The Low voltage reference wire or circuit could also be at fault, thus replacing a part that was not faulty in the first place would not solve your problem.

You need to have some diagnostics done by a qualified technician otherwise your just wasting your money on parts swapping.

I am not sure about an electrical system malfunction killing a TPS in such a short time, The TPS along with most other sensors of that nature operate from 5 volts that is generated out of the vehicles computer.

I am thinking the TPS was installed incorrectly, and that the battery light is a separate thing all together, although you do not say what the DTC was, (signal high, signal low, signal missing?)

Ya Think!? Take it to the dealer or you will keep wasting money throwing parts at it.