Good lesbian movies?

Like "Imagine Me and You" or "Kissing Jessica Stein"?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My favorites:

1) Mango Kiss- if you're kinky, this one is a lot of fun. Hilarious and romantic/sweet. A little low-budget, but still nicely made and with hot butches like Michelle Wolfe (yum!).

2) Better Than Chocolate- the lesbian movie I recommend to everyone. Perfect, brilliant story- just the right amount of drama in the form of coming out and discrimination, without being too heavy or sad, romantic, sweet, funny, beautiful.

3) But I'm a Cheerleader- that funny camp lesbian movie that's still romantic, sweet, and not too over-the-top. I absolutely adore it. And Clea Duvall is my favorite lesbian character.

4) If These Walls Could Talk 2- an HBO movie that feels a little disjointed (what hooks the three storylines together is that they take place in the same house). But it's good to watch, brings a lot of lesbian issues to the light, and is probably the most accurate portrayal of lesbians that I've seen in a long while. Plus, watching a butch Chloe Sevigny make it with Michelle Williams is reason enough to watch.

5) Bound- not really much focus on the lesbian angle, but still a really great story all around (very tense, dramatic, on-the-edge of your seat absorbing sort of stuff), and Gina Gershon as a hot butch handygirl and Jennifer Tilly as her smoking hot femme.

6) Tipping the Velvet- based on the great (better) book. It's fun and sweet, and I'm enamored with 19th century British male impersonators. Who wouldn't be?

Avoid at all costs:

1) Lost and Delirious- over-the-top, way too melodramatic story of boarding school girls in love. It might have been a better movie had they just treated the story a little more lightly- no cheesy music, etc.. Still, Piper Perabo as a lesbian . . .

2) It's In the Water- okay, okay, it's cute. But it's really dated, way too easily solved, and basically, is just fodder. But it's enjoyable if you want something really light and fluffy, made like a GLBT afterschool special.

Hope you find something good to watch!

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Michelle Tea books are really good. I recommend Valencia or Rose of No Man's Land. Valencia is a memoir about the hardcore lesbian lifestyle in California in the 90s. Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden is a lesbian classic. Empress of the World is pretty decent. It's about girls at camp. As for movies, Loving Annabel is kind of interesting. It's about a lesbian student/teacher relationship. Thirteen is not a lesbian movie, but it has girls who explore sexuality. But I'm A Cheerleader is quite cute, as it has been mentioned in previous answers. The Kids Are All Right just came out, it's about lesbian parents and it was amazing.

• 1 decade ago

Fire

It's In the Water

Bar Girls

Everything's Relative

Bound

But I'm A Cheerleader!

Clare de Lune

When Night Is Falling

Tipping The Velvet

The Girl

Better Than Chocolate

D.E.B.S.

Amour de Femme

http://www.netflix.com/GenreList?sgid=330&nfse=Y&p...

• 1 decade ago

Better Than Chocolate

Go Fish

But I'm a Cheerleader!

Chutney Popcorn

The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love

Desert Hearts

Boys Don't Cry

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Saving Face

• Xindy
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Gia is a good one. It doesn't just focus on Lesbianism, but rather on the lifestyle of a model who happens to fall in love with another woman. It's a great movie. But be prepared to ball your eyes out when you watch it.

• 1 decade ago

Well you just answered my two suggestions. I love those two. There's always - if these walls could talk 2. I saw Mango Kiss but that was a little strange.

• 1 decade ago

a movie called GIA angelina jolie is in this movie and if these walls can talk 2,also lost and delirious.

• my summer of love

tipping the velvet

• 1 decade ago

boys don't cry-Hilary swank

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.