iamjaycee asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Can Feline leukemia......?

To add to my last question....my friends capuchin monkey was diagnosed with leukemia. She as been around a cattery which supposedly none of the cats are FELV positive, or show no symptoms if they do have it. Could a non human primate be infected also just be being around them. I am not sure if the monkey touched them, but maybe she has, and monkeys love to groom other animals that will tolerate it.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • lizzy
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, the feline leukemia virus is "species specific", that is, it can only infect one species: cats. Most viruses can only infect one species. And a monkey virus would be more likely to also infect human beings, not cats, since monkeys and humans are similar species.

Feline leukemia is also not really a "leukemia", a leukemia is a cancer of the white blood cells, and feline leukemia is NOT the same as cancerous leukemia. The virus causes changes in the white blood cells similar to the changes seen in cancerous leukemia, and that's how the virus got its name.

• 1 decade ago

No, feline leukemia virus can only be transferred to other cats. It is an entirely different disease than the leukemia that the capuchin has.

• 1 decade ago

No. Feline leukiemia was given that name for a reason, only felines can get that strain of it. Dogs, monkeys, any other animal cannot contract it. Only cats.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, Felv is species specific

Jenelle, CVT

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No

There are different strains of the disease.

Source(s): Vet nurse/tech
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.