Is there a certain time of year when knee injuries are more common?

It seems like over the past couple months a number of people that I know have had knee problems, and have either had or will be having surgery shortly. Not just in my family, but people I know at work and at church have been having knee problems.

I was wondering if there is a certain time of year when people are more prone to knee injuries. Are knee injuries more common during the winter?

Favorite Answer

The distribution and incidence of orthopedic injuries in general is pretty much even across the calender year. However, in certain regions certain times of the year can see an increase in specific injuries based on activities. An example would be in during ski season in the mountains, due to the high number of knee injuries associated with that activity.

In terms of surgery, if the problems were not acute and surgery could be delayed until a convenient time, most people choose winter to do that because being cooped up indoors, off your feet isn't as big a problem as in spring or summer when you might want to be outdoors more.

And then again, it could just be coincidence in your case. Hard to say, really.

Source(s): I'm a surgery resident

It's possible that these people injured their knees earlier in the year, or earlier in their lives, and the cold of the winter this year happens to be causing it enough pain that they seek additional medical attention for it...In addition to that, it is also entirely possible that people who are active outdoors in colder climates could slip on ice in the winter, thus causing a possible increase in knee injuries...But it's probably all just coincidence.