Ohio Unemployment???

I will be working for Cedar Point (seasonal) May-October... Will I be able to file for unemployment when the season is over?

Favorite Answer

You should be able to if you work the entire 6 months that Cedar Point is open. But honestly, I can't see Cedar Point paying you so much that it would be worth your while to file for unemployment.

Many construction workers collect unemployment during winter months in Ohio. But many of them are able to collect the max , which I believe is about $450 a week. Collecting on a job at Cedar Point may only pay about 1/2 of that. Which is okay I guess if you're a student, and your housing is subsidised.

That's a good question for their HR Department but I think knowing it's a seasonal position would not qualify you for unemployment, which is an insurance again layoffs. Since you are already aware of your contract terms (much like a temp assignment) you may want to start looking for a position to work October through May elsewhere. Unemployment only pays 1/2 of your gross income and is taxable so you wouldn't get much on unemployment even if you do qualify for it. Most employees work there for extra money and not for a sole income much like people who work retail during the Christmas season.