High cost of insurance for retirees which is using up pensions.?

I worked 33 yrs at McDonnell Douglas (Boeing) Aircraft Corporation and retired in 1996. I received a fair pension and insurance that I had to pay, which was affordable. What started out to be affordable in 1996 has now reached unaffordable in 2007. My pension is being quickly absorbed by the cost of my insurance, which is now $933 a month for just me. Needless to say my insurance costs outweigh my monthly pension allowance now. I am a cancer survivor since 1992 yet I am unable to choose another insurance provider because I am considered, like many other survivors and patients, high risk and uninsureable.

I didn't ask to be dianosed with cancer. In fact, I have always taken care of myself. Why should I/we be discriminated against after 10 or more years of being cancer free.

Favorite Answer

Out of control Lawyer Fees

IE Hillary Clinton Spent over $4 Million in a month to try to lower

Health Care Cost

• Audy

I might suggest one to visit this site where you can compare rates from the best companies: http://insurecheap.us/index.html?src=3YAgef2ele2dY

RE :High cost of insurance for retirees which is using up pensions.?

Follow 10 answers

Source(s): I might suggest one to visit this site where you can compare rates from the best companies: http://insurecheap.us/index.html?src=3YAgef2ele2dY

At - INSURECOMPARECAR.INFO- you can compare free quotes

RE High cost of insurance for retirees which is using up pensions.?

Since health insurance is regulated at the state level, it's easy for insurance companies to manipulate the rates. Additionally, many large companies have loopholes where they can charge you the rate they are billed by the health insurance provider, but they can get a kickback from that company for the # of subscribers. ie -- your cost is $900/month -- they say it costs them $1200/mo and they are subsidizing you $300/month. BUT, in reality they are billed $1200/mo but receive a $250/mo kickback. Net cost to them is only $50/month.

If you have it available, you might want to look into an HSA. Your rates will be lower and you will be self insuring yourself. Not the best option -- but much better than paying high $$$.

The US government does not care about their people, old, young and everywhere in between. It sucks to be in this situation. The only thing you can do is try to see a free doctor or clinic. Also I have not researched Medicare, but some say it helps a little. You could also try getting social security, if you have not already.

This is the aweful situation that so many families are faced with. Unfortunately, there are not the right kind of people running the country to care about the elderly especially. They have plenty of money to pay all of their bills in cash, why should they care about anyone else?

You sound like you have no choices about your company's

health insurance. Talk to your HR rep and ask them what

other choices you have with the same provider. Can you

increase your deductible? Then let us know so we can better help

you. Also state to us your main criteria that would tell you

you have a good insurance. For example what is more

important, dr's visits, hospitalization, etc. Let us know.

Email me if you have questions.

Source(s): See my profile.

I know of no one in my community that is having a problem like that. My insurance is Medicaire which is taken out of the Social Security check and my supplement insurance costs $10 a month and pays for perscriptions. I have no problem.

Get insurance quotes

Source(s): Try HTTP://INSURERATES.INFO/comparefreequotesa906w6O8P80n5

Because they have to have a way to try and control cost.

There are several comparison sites but I liked this one to get quotes for free: HELP-INSURE.NET